Maritime History > Miscellaneous Maritime and Naval History

HMS Acteon,Burntwick Island

<< < (2/3) > >>

MartinR:
"Small" is a bit relative.  If she was built as a fourth rater she would be around 150' long by 40' beam weighing in at about 1,000 tons.  She would have mounted about 50 guns (±10) and would originally probably have been a fully rigged ship (ie three masts with square sails on each).  However, what state she was in as a tender is anyone's guess.  Rigs were often cut down and even the number of masts changed.  I've taken the dimensions from HMS Leopard of 1790 which was another fourth rater.

Sidw:

Martin R, I have photo of HMS Vernon (the torpedo school tender) somewhere, a very small vessel. The torpedo school and gunnery school you mention wer at Portsmouth. Torpedoes were different in those days, charges lobbed at the side of a targeted ship. Until I find the photo, try googling. And if I may, look at this page:

https://sandowe.com/2017/11/29/sidney-sandoes-ships/

--- Quote from: MartinR on July 26, 2021, 12:39:44 PM ---I had a quick look to see if Stuart had done one of his excellent pieces on her, but apparently not.  Next I looked in Wiki, and it appears that she was originally HMS Vernon before being renamed in 1886...... 

--- End quote ---

stuartwaters:

--- Quote from: MartinR on July 26, 2021, 12:39:44 PM ---I had a quick look to see if Stuart had done one of his excellent pieces on her, but apparently not.  Next I looked in Wiki, and it appears that she was originally HMS Vernon before being renamed in 1886.  All that Wiki has is:

--- Quote ---HMS Vernon was a 50-gun fourth rate launched in 1832.  She became tender to the Navy's gunnery school HMS Excellent, and then the torpedo school ship in 1876.  She was renamed HMS Actaeon in 1886 and sold in 1923.
--- End quote ---
So then I checked the forum for HMS Vernon, but again no luck I'm afraid.

--- End quote ---

Very kind words, thank you. There may well be a future article about this ship, she was built at the Woolwich Royal Dockyard, so she was one of 'ours'. A quick look has told me there isn't a lot of information out there about the ship. A very quick look, so a bit of digging might well reveal more. I'll look into it when I've finished the one I have in the works now.

pete.mason:
Fire on HMS Acteon, At Sheerness Dockyard yesterday an outbreak of fire occured on board the Torpedo School Ship HMS Acteon whichlies moored in Stangate Creek halfway between Chatham & Sheerness. The Tugs Diligent, Robust and Grinder along with the Firefloat Clinker were sent at full speed. Commander Dawson had the crew of the ship piped to Fire Quarters and prompt measures were taken. The outbreak occured midships on the starboard side. Fortunatley when the tugs arrived the fire had been got under

Evening Express 29 December 1910

MartinR:
I had a quick look to see if Stuart had done one of his excellent pieces on her, but apparently not.  Next I looked in Wiki, and it appears that she was originally HMS Vernon before being renamed in 1886.  All that Wiki has is:

--- Quote ---HMS Vernon was a 50-gun fourth rate launched in 1832.  She became tender to the Navy's gunnery school HMS Excellent, and then the torpedo school ship in 1876.  She was renamed HMS Actaeon in 1886 and sold in 1923.
--- End quote ---
So then I checked the forum for HMS Vernon, but again no luck I'm afraid.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version