Maritime History > Lighthouses and Lightships

NEAREST LIGHTHOUSES

(1/2) > >>

CAT:
The same can be said for Ramsgate harbour whose harbour arm has a nice compact period lighthouse on the end, but remember to get different trains than those for Folkestone.

Invicta Alec:
Bill if driving is getting a little problematic why not use the train?

Jump on at Maidstone East and come and visit us in Folkestone. We've got a delightful little lighthouse at the end of the harbour arm. You can have some sea air, chips and a beer, unbeatable!

Alec.

MartinR:
Calais light has the characteristic Fl(4)15s59m22M which interpreted means: 4 flashes repeated every 15 seconds.  59m above sea level with a range of 22 nautical miles.  Cap Gris Nez is Fl 5s72m29M or one flash every 5 seconds at a height of 72 m visible for 29 nautical miles.  So, on a clear night you should be able to just see both.  In theory a vessel without modern navigational instruments can travel from France to England using the Cap Gris Nez to Folkstone passage just by observing the lights.  BTW, Folkstone is Fl(2)10s22M.

Bill Jones:
Thank you both. I wrote Dymchurch for some reason when I meaned Dungeness was the place I visited lol, the lesson is not typing with a hangover from English rum which is strangely seems more powerful then the ones where I was born, which does not seem right!! The lighthouse at North Foreland looks pretty and worth visiting but I am worried about the small roads there. I can take the M20 to Dover to visit the one or two at South Foreland but again it looks like small roads there. I must be braver in my driving.

Can I see French lighthouses shining at night from Dover? I am guessing that the French have them like us?

Mike Gunnill:
The lighthouse at St Margaret's near dover is interesting. Last week in the afternoons they were having cream teas. Good hunting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version