Author Topic: Rename the forum  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Bill Jones

Re: Rename the forum
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 06:02:03 AM »
I am looking forward to Stuarts ship post, I have read all of them so far and learned an awful lot about Kents maritime.  :D

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 09:44:56 PM »
Oops, sorry Stuart, I'd forgotten that you'd changed your username.  I must be getting old and forgetful!

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 08:53:29 PM »
Thank you all for your supportive comments, they're much appreciated thank you. I must admit to not being as active as I have been in the past although I am working on a ship story right now which is nearing completion.

As it's the holiday season, I've been distracted to a degree as have many other people.  I can say to people that this forum is going nowhere in the foreseeable future and I'm not the kind of person to simply take it offline and dump everyone's hard work (sometimes accumulated over years) because I can't be bothered to run it anymore, but won't let anyone else do it either.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 06:59:24 PM »
I agree with Shoot and MartinR. Bilgerat (sorry StuartWalters)went to a lot of trouble trying to keep the old forum alive too no avail. I like many others had contributed lots of info and topics of my own,all lost in the press of a button. Unfortunately wayback doesnt help I have not been able to recover anything to repost on here.The forum will gradually become as great as the old one with the support of the active members. You must remember a lot of members only join to read with no intention of inputting anything. I for one will be starting more topics during the Winter when darker evenings mean more time at the Computor. Meanwhile Guess the place has always been at the forefront even on the old Forum long may it be so. Regarding the deliberate destruction of the old site ,I am pretty sure it will never happen to this one. :)

Online shoot999

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 06:28:48 PM »
All sites take time to build up, and I see GTP as similar to other sites 'Lounge' or what have you. Its a place to land before exploring. And unlike the previous site you do have a chance to post some history on the page, or have a side discussion.
Given the number of people who had a mountain of their work deliberately destroyed by the owner of the last site, I can understand peoples reluctance to go through that all again.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 02:09:26 PM »
You make a good point, but I fear you overstate slightly.  16 June was only a week ago,  Try looking at some of Bilgerat's ship histories, or the recent discussion about the emplacement at St Margaret's Bay.  Perhaps the regulars need a kick from time to time - would you mind supplying it by asking questions?  Sometimes members have knowledge that they have published elsewhere and can contribute given a gentle hint.

Offline Bill Jones

Rename the forum
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 12:52:34 PM »
I looked and see that the last post that isnt guess the place was on the 16 June. should you re-name the forum as there is nothing about history on here and lots of boards with no topics, or one topic. yes I should start some but I know very little about Kent despite living here for a while and enjoy reading about history. Even the other forum is just airplanes and graves now and seems to be nothing history apart from that.