Life Stories and Personal Memories > Personal Memories

Driving Tests

(1/7) > >>

Beachbum:
I had my Motorcycle Test in January 1974 and Car Test in July 1974, both in Margate.

The Bike test was a freezing cold day and the Examiner was known for a dislike of motorcycles. He asked every possible highway code question to catch me out. Fortunately I had become a Motorcycle Trainer with the RAC/ACU and was on the ball.

The Car Test was in a brand new car that I had never seen or driven before, I had to walk some miles to the test centre as it was being used for another person prior to my slot.
The emergency stop was on a freshly laid surface with stone chippings all over.
A surprise emergency stop happened by the Clock Tower junction with Eaton Road when a wheelchair fell of the path. I was then stuck in the middle of a very busy junction, and then stalled a couple of times.

Know I have yearly medicals for my HGV Class 1 Licence.

Lutonman:
Saw some "moaning" on the internet about old drivers needing to retake their test and that they did not have to do the Theory test. So I did two of them on the internet and passed both times. So just because we are old does not mean those people were right. We bring a lot of experience and indeed more patience I guess. 

shoot999:

--- Quote from: Lutonman on July 26, 2023, 02:19:26 PM ---I took my test from Rock Avenue, it must have been soon after it moved from New Road.
My emergency stop was covered when someone walked out in front of me and I slammed on the brakes. Examiner said "that will count as your emergency stop"!

--- End quote ---

Same here. Rock Avenue in 1974. And did my emergency stop when two boys on bikes shot out in front of me coming out of Gillingham Park.

Lutonman:
I took my test from Rock Avenue, it must have been soon after it moved from New Road.
My emergency stop was covered when someone walked out in front of me and I slammed on the brakes. Examiner said "that will count as your emergency stop"!

Smiffy:
I'm pretty sure the test centre was situated in Rock Avenue when I finally got round to taking my driving test in the late '70s.

I had failed my first test (incorrect use of gears or some such thing) and made sure to book a double lesson before taking it again. My instuctor was really easy to get on with, and had an interesting sense of humour. On pulling up outside the test centre his final words to me were "If you don't pass this time you're a w*nker". Needless to say, I then had no option but to pass - and indeed I did  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version