Military History > Military Figures

Kent teenagers who joined Trenchard RAF Apprentice (Brats) & Boy Entrant Schemes

<< < (2/3) > >>

Barry5X:
Dave

If I remember correctly Engines and Airframe were simply HEAVIES.

Where were you when Kennedy got shot? 

It was a Friday Bull night.

Dave Smith:
The wheels have turned & RAF Locking is the Radio School. g' Your Bumper immediately brought to mind, Bull, as in night! Fridays in my day. We Engines & Airframes always referred to the other trades- Armourers, Electricians & Instruments as the "gash trades".

grandarog:
I have always been very proud to have been a "Trenchard Brat"
If any of you would like to message me with your E-Mail addresses I will send you a PDF file about Apprentice life at Halton written by my mate Rob. Its too big to post on here.
Well worth it.

grandarog:
Talking of slang terms ,The best one of all was "Gash" with its many meanings .           There was also "N" for infinite quantities of anything, Rookie or Rooks was an exclusive  term for a junior entry member of Apprentices and Boy entrants.
National servicemen recruits were Sprogs or Boggies.
   A civilian would never understand the Camaraderie and Loyalty of the Apps and BE community's.
 Dont forget the ultimate tool to keep you fit and muscular,the infamous "Bumper" :)

Dave Smith:
Barry. " Gun Plumbers". Airframes, " Riggers"; Engines, " Greasers"; Electricians, "Leccies". Boy Entrants were also at the Radio School(I will have to get the OLD brain working to remember where!).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version