Life Stories and Personal Memories > Personalities and Biographies

Frank Smitherman M.B.E.

(1/2) > >>

johnfilmer:
No problem grandarog, the Gazette is confusing, and often refers to events years before as if current.

The difference between Luton Road and Carlton House Terrace is worthy of note, such is the social mobility in the time.

grandarog:
My apologies johnfilmer. I should have researched more thoroughly before going off at halfcock.

johnfilmer:
Not quite right grandarog.
The London Gazette of 7th July 1949 shows his appointment (by the King) to be Consul at Amoy from 24th February, but he is plain Frank Smitherman Esquire in that listing.

The next mention is the Gazette of 8th December 1953 when HM The Queen confirms a list of people to be members of Branch B of H.M. Foreign Service from the dates following their names. Frank's is 10th January 1949, which is when the King apponited him, now confirmed by his successor, The Queen. This latter notice includes the MBE, which was awarded in the 1952 New year Honours, Civil Division (Overseas). Wiki screenshot attached.
I had also assumed that he was awarded the honour in regard to Police work in India/Burma which is why it took me so long to find him in the huge listings that were issued after the war.
There is a passenger list for him and his wife on the Queen Mary between Southampton and New York, leaving 10th June 1960 - Cabin Class. More interesting was their previous residence of Sudan, which tallies with his postings, and even more impressive the address that they gave as their last UK one - 17 Carlton House Terrace, SW 1. I presume a Foreign Office address.
Hope all that helps, the Gazette entries are not the clearest.

grandarog:
I note that Frank was awarded the MBE 10 January 1949. That was before he took up the appointment of Vice Consul at Amoy on 24 February 1949.
I would assume he was awarded the MBE for service in the Indian Police.
I also found this and wondered if it was him.
Frank .Smitherman, Esquire, M.B.E., to be Her
Majesty's Consul for the State of (Florida, with
]the exception of that part west of the Apalachioola
River, to reside at Miami (18th October I960);

johnfilmer:
A brief update.
After trawling through the copius lists published on Wiki, I finally found Frank Smitherman in the New Year Honours 1952. Simply mentioned as having fulfilled the role of Acting Consul-General at Amoy. I presume he stepped into the role for whatever reason, and given that he only started his Diplomatic career in 1949, must have impressed.
Another little mystery solved.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version