Life Stories and Personal Memories > Personal Memories

The Queen

(1/2) > >>

MartinR:
Must have been 1951.  In September 1951 the late King had his left lung removed and in November of that year was too ill to attend the State Opening of Parliament.  He died on 6 February 1952.

pete.mason:
Not sure what year , 1951 or 2 we lived in Cobham close Strood and remember being taken to see the King drive past down Watling St, Guessing it  was a Dockyard visit, anyone able to confirm the date?

grandarog:
My mate and I were at the County show ,1989 I think, the year that the Queen and Duke,(Prince Phillip) opened it. During the afternoon as we approached where one of the exit roads crossed a walkway, we were stopped with others, by a lone Policeman, who said stand still the Queen is coming.We were stood slightly behind him when the open top car with Q and D on board approached he extended his arms across the front of us. Spontaneously we both grabbed his arms and waved them up and down as the car went by. The Queen burst out laughing, nudged the Duke as they passed and he looked back over his shoulder and grinned. Copper saw the funny side as well luckily for us. We had a natter with him and said how easy it would have been to drop a grenade in the car as it passed. Couldn,t happen these days .

mmitch:
The first time I saw the Queen it was the winter of 52/53 when all the floods had happened. She was touring the damaged area and came to Gravesend. We were all let out early from school and lined the road. I remember thinking how young she looked. Not much older than my big sister.....
mmitch.

castle261:
We had real cups & saucers - While waiting for the Queen to arrive - I had my camera ready 
then as she came through the gate - I dropped my camera - so I was occupied with trying
to put the back on - when a lady in yellow said `can I help ` so we spent some time - repairing
the camera. I found out later - it was the Lord Lieutenant of Kent`s wife - While waiting for her
car -  the Queen found there was time to spare - so she came to speak to me - again.

P.S. had to borrow a suit for the Palace - I only used to wear blazer and trousers then.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version