Leisure, Sport and Entertainment > Kent Beaches and Seaside Resorts

Ramsgate 1949

<< < (2/2)

Dave Smith:
Smiffy, from me also thanks. I thought the film was going to be a short documentary but was probably a B movie- which I enjoyed. I shall also watch some of the others during this next self isolation. Definitely Clifftonville with its chalk cliffs in one shot, we preferred it to Margate- good sand & no crowds, although a very long walk from Margate station. I wonder whether Dreamland was in there as there was quite a big roller coaster but as I went there prior to WW2, it's too long ago for me to remember details.   

Lyn L:
I lived in Ramsgate then , plenty of places I recognised but I was only three so I wasn't in the film ;D  Ramsgate Harbour, with Merry England in the background where the bumper cars were. Could be a number of colliery's  but don't know which one. Betteshanger, Chislet, Snowdown, Tilmanstone. Someone may know though. Also I think Cliftonville was in there , saw a little sign to the Lido  but didn't ever go there.
Thanks Smiffy nice to see the old place again .

Smiffy:

Here's a film which I'm sure will stir some seaside memories for many.

This is apparently set mainly in Ramsgate and Thanet but as I'm not familiar with the area I can't confirm if this is the case - although the North Foreland lighthouse is clearly visible in one scene. Perhaps someone who knows the area can identify the other locations, including the coalfield which is featured.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version