Military History > Gun Batteries

AA Gun Site on Romney Marsh?

(1/4) > >>

Howardws:
My friend keeps it near Woodchurch and he needs a crew which is where I come in! We worked together on the Kent & East Sussex Railway about 40 years ago and out of the blue about six years ago I was asked if I would like to join the team. It’s a ‘small’ traction engine and is in fact only 11 years old, my friend having built the engine himself, with the boiler being built by a co-owner. Not built from a kit and there are no drawings, it’s a real ‘designed on the back of a fag packet’ engine. They built the boiler to take the casting of the biggest compound cylinder block on the market and the engine to suit. We go out two or three times a month. Pre Covid it was a trip to the Black Lion in Appledore for lunch and a drink but now it’s sandwiches and a cup of tea on the marsh or some back lane somewhere.

Cosmo Smallpiece:
Still an unresolved mystery as we still don't know what was stored there?

Currently more intrigued by why you are traveling around Kent in that magnificent machine! What's the story?

Howardws:
We went out again on Friday. The platform appears to be brick walls infilled and covered with very coarse concrete. It doesn’t look much like a military installation from close up.

pete.mason:
I'm sure this has been discussed some years back, either on this forum or it's predessecor. Perhaps Kyn or John will remember. I can remember passing the building in my working days so no later than 2002. Pretty certain the outcome was a conection to the ALG

Howardws:
Thank you Cosmo Smallpiece and others for you interest and assistance. I won’t rush back on Friday but when we are out there again I’ll take a closer look. My friend will probably say “I told you so!”

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version