Healthcare > Hospitals and Asylums

Royal Sea Bathing Hospital, Margate

(1/2) > >>

Diapason:
I was there a few years ago along with representatives of the local council and also from the British Institute of Organ Studies and I gathered that attempts to save the organ were intended, but that was at least three years ago and I haven`t heard of any progress being made. It is listed, in spite of its condition, on the National Pipe Organ Register as an historic instrument and awarded a Grade 1 listing. Of course, it would cost a fortune to renovate.

Dave Smith:
Diaperson. How terrible that the organ was allowed to get in this state. Pigeons have a lot to answer for. And I don't suppose the good people of Margate are aware.

Diapason:
The hospital chapel and its pipe organ are now in a terrible state mainly due to the invasion of pigeons. The organ is now on the `At risk Register`.

The organ was built in 1888 by the famous Henry `Father` Willis who also built an organ in Canterbury Cathedral in 1886 (the new organ recently installed in the cathedral still contains some work by Willis), the Royal Albert Hall, Liverpool Cathedral, etc. the latter two instruments being the largest in this country.

DaveTheTrain:
I have a lovely Weir Junior pump on my steam engine, complete with tallow lubricator.  Fantastic boiler feed pumps.
DTT

Dave Smith:
DtD. I worked for Copperad initially, taken over by Ideal Standard- what a shower they were! Latterly Grundfos Pumps, Commercial/ Industrial division. We replaced nearly all the old steam driven Weir boiler feed pumps with a, Tiny in comparison, multi stage feed pump. ( a lot of engineers couldn't believe the downsize could possibly work!). Of course, coal & coke were eventually replaced by gas in a lot of instances- or heavy oil in very big installations. Some of the older hospitals still worked on self generated DC current in those days!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version