Military History > Castles, Forts and other fortified places

Broken castle at Sutton Valence

(1/3) > >>

Bill Jones:
Meatballs! I will think that I will give my dear friend Hugo that pet name  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

pete.mason:
Try it!!  Go in with no intention to buy anything, come out after spending £50 on everything you never knew you needed. The meatballs aren't bad either  ;)

Bill Jones:
I did not know ikea so looked it up. You have made me chuckle

MartinR:
The "IKEA flatpacks" were only for the first few castles (Pevensey and Hastings come to mind).  What is certainly true is that they threw up a motte and put a wooden keep atop it.  Only once the ground had settled (maybe up to a century later) could they build large, heavy, stone keeps.  The outer walls around the bailey would likewise be a timber palisade at first, replaced as time goes on with stone towers and a curtain wall.  Of course in some places an pre-existing mound could be reused as the motte and a donjon built immediately.  My friend Wikipedia has a good introduction to the motte-and-bailey style castle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motte-and-bailey_castle

mmitch:
When the Normans invaded they brought wooden castle keeps  in kit form (IKEA came later!) I suspect that when  they rebuilt in stone, they built round the outside maybe much late?
mmitch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version