Maritime History > Harbours and Dockyards

Chatham Dockyard Video 1977

(1/2) > >>

Colin walsh:
Mike,I know that some went to Chatham library,and some went to the garrison church dock road,an old pal of mine was the curator at the time,ex shipwright.
Castle 261,never saw the ones you mentioned ,as far as I can recall those we were shown were of the inside of no 8shop,the boat house and the medical center,executed in pastel crayon nothing really recognizable,just a rough ,to me, hastily done sketch,seem to think the artist was a lady.
The story was Thay recived a fairly substantial retainer for there work,as I said at the time to my mind those I viewed were very poor quality,and all this time later I still hold the same opinion. To

castle261:

Mike Gunnill:

--- Quote from: Colin walsh on July 11, 2020, 08:39:17 PM ---I remember at the time of closing,an artist was commissioned to paint pictures of various yard scenes for. Future reference,we were allowed a sneak preview,total crap ,a five year old could have done better,I hope Thay were never shown,

--- End quote ---

Do you know what happened to the paintings Colin? Interesting to see them now.

Colin walsh:
I remember at the time of closing,an artist was commissioned to paint pictures of various yard scenes for. Future reference,we were allowed a sneak preview,total crap ,a five year old could have done better,I hope Thay were never shown,

castle261:
A few films were `shot` in the `yard - ` WATCH YOUR STERN `- the best one for views of the `yard.
I used to sketch & draw - what ever basin or dock I was on - I kept them in the `yard - until it closed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version