Geography in Kent > City, Town and Village Histories

Rochester ---- Town or City.

(1/4) > >>

MartinR:

Mike Gunnill:

--- Quote from: pr1uk on April 29, 2020, 07:33:55 AM ---
--- Quote ---

This picture was taken for the Daily Telegraph. On Rochester High Street, two weeks before they decided who was getting city-status. The council had gone ahead and rebranded their dustcarts. Very upset when they didn't get the status back. They were even more upset with the picture in DT.

Mike

--- End quote ---

I found it fummy how they never bothered to try and keep City of Rochester and then thought they could get City of Medway, what a joke

--- End quote ---

Dear  pr1uk
[/size]
It really was bad management. At the time of my picture, Medway Council had convinced themselves, they were going to get city status. Their actions were seen by the status officials, as great insult and must have marked their card for future applications.  An old editor of the local newspapers explained in a simple manner, " they looked at the map of Kent for the town of Medway, and couldn't find it! [/size][size=78%]"[/size]

I guess all the dust-carts had be repainted!

Mike

pr1uk:

--- Quote ---

This picture was taken for the Daily Telegraph. On Rochester High Street, two weeks before they decided who was getting city-status. The council had gone ahead and rebranded their dustcarts. Very upset when they didn't get the status back. They were even more upset with the picture in DT.

Mike

--- End quote ---

I found it fummy how they never bothered to try and keep City of Rochester and then thought they could get City of Medway, what a joke

MartinR:
The terms "time immemorial" and "ancient prescriptive right" have precise meanings in common law.  Rochester had every right to the status by "ancient prescriptive right".

Dave Smith:
Thank you MartinR for that most interesting explanation of city. Pity Rochester has lost the status but it seems it shouldn't have had that in the first place, just because it had a cathedral. I, like most people I'm sure, associated city with cathedral. Truro always seemed an anomaly to me for although it had a cathedral, it was such a small town- & certainly wasn't fortified as far as I'm aware.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version