Author Topic: Kent Place Names  (Read 9396 times)

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
Re: Kent Place Names
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 12:45:07 PM »

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 11:56:17 AM »
Many thanks Smiffy, & there was I thinking Harrietsham was the hamlet of Harriet! Interesting to see how old Bearsted is. It's quite close to the Pilgrims Way, running along the base of the Downs through Thurnham, where I think there was an abbey at one time. So, is Thurnham also there please? And of course, we mustn't forget Rochester, on a par with Canterbury or even older?

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 02:01:22 PM »

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 12:36:06 PM »
Think its a great Idea Smiffy . Also it would be nice to see a topic picturing village signs to run along side.It was  very well used on Kyn's Board .When Stuart puts  Kentish Place Names up and running as a Topic we can add this one in.Milton Regis, over the centuries has been called by various names.

Midletun
Middleton Terra Regis
Middletune
Milton Next Sittingbourne.
Milton Royal
And Finally now Milton Regis.

The only salutations to earlier names are the road named  Middletune Avenue and Middleton Mews.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 09:22:20 PM »
Smiffy. I'd go along with that very good idea- anything to keep an interest in the Forum. Your initial batch I found most interesting. How about Bearsted & Harrietsham for starters? There seems to be a bit of niggling going on, I'm sad to see, about photographs for " guess the place". Ok, a lot of us don't know how to download these; personally I would copy on my printer & transfer to computer & then, hopefully, copy & paste on the KHF site. But I may be wrong. And personally I wouldn't worry where they came from; would someone really go to the trouble of taking me to court for posting a picture for others to enjoy?

Offline Smiffy

Kent Place Names
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 06:23:43 PM »