Travel and Transport > Roads, Tracks and Paths

Watts' Place, Chatham

(1/8) > >>

shoot999:

--- Quote from: Colin walsh on April 24, 2020, 05:34:47 PM ---In my time working for watts,one of the senior trustees was aMr Read ,he had a family business in Rochester high street ,corner of vines lane,mostly China wear and expensive ornaments,
He was a real gentalman of the old school. My point :- Mr Read had a number of albums containing photographs of much of watts property ,I was privileged to see a few of them,some dated back to ww1 at least,have a vague idea the photographer responsible for many of the.photos was was a firm called How's had a studio somewhere near the Synagogue in Rochester /Chatham high street,just wondering if Thay are still around?may be watts administration ,or Rochester mesueam.just asking .

--- End quote ---

Howe T E Ltd were commercial and portrait photographers at 24 High Street Chatham. Looking at street view now it is CederOak Training Centre, next door to Tangs Chinese Restaurant, which has been there as a restaurant  for over 60 years under various names.

smiler:
Colin Walsh I used to go into Reads [was it Reeves] china shop quite often for a look around I remember the upstairs part very low ceiling which made it look very long room. Sold lovely crockery.

castle261:
I remember this area well - I only used it as a short cut to the buses.
To pack so many businesses - in a small area like `Watts Place` was unusual - I never visited any of the three cafes - very unusual for one short street.
For people that may not know the area ` Watts Place ` is a very short street with no pavement`s
with lamp lights in the centre. The shop`s therefor, are small looking on the outside. if you go down the street now it is a derelict wide ally way, with a kink in it, whereas, when Watts Place was alive, it
was very straight. Used car dealers had taken over between them, taken some of the space.

Colin walsh:
In my time working for watts,one of the senior trustees was aMr Read ,he had a family business in Rochester high street ,corner of vines lane,mostly China wear and expensive ornaments,
He was a real gentalman of the old school. My point :- Mr Read had a number of albums containing photographs of much of watts property ,I was privileged to see a few of them,some dated back to ww1 at least,have a vague idea the photographer responsible for many of the.photos was was a firm called How's had a studio somewhere near the Synagogue in Rochester /Chatham high street,just wondering if Thay are still around?may be watts administration ,or Rochester mesueam.just asking .

Dave Smith:
CAT. That's exactly what I said- one day! So it's frustrating that now I have " all the time in the world", I'm not at home & just have this Chromebook & no slides to copy, let alone the copier! Your wife must have the patience of Jobe, so congratulations to her. I think shoot999 has it, with the absence of portraits, they are the work of a freelance photographer, travelling the County. By the way, your cellar may be cool but make sure it isn't damp, otherwise you could get mould forming on the glass slides. Particularly when they've been out of their sleeves in the presence of people- warm moist air. "Which"( that I am a member of), did a Test Lab. report on dehumidifiers some time ago &, as usual, some were a lot better than others.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version