Travel and Transport > Railways

Renovated rail chairs

<< < (2/5) > >>

Colin walsh:
Thinking about the instaltion of three aspect coulour light signaling beyond Gillingham ,as stated before I was involved insomuch as a passed cleaner I did several engineering train firing turns ref that time ,can't recall the year ,but my birthday is early May ,the actual phasing in on CLS was a week or two prior to May ,probably mid or late April ,we were involved in the Gillingham. Sittingbourn Sheppy signals,on the initional commissioning we came from rainham to Gillingham removing the white wooden crosses from the new signals and the permanent way team put each one on line,it was the only time in my railway service I ever carried out rule 55 "

KeithG:
Castle261...... I was 7 in 1954 and living in Duncan Road and then Copenhagen Road that Gillingham crossing was a play area.
I used to stand up on that crossing bridge and  the smoke from the engines used to go up my short trousers :o

Regularly going in the red phone box to tell the operator to get off the line as a train was coming.

castle261:
Interesting 1939, still on school holidays. We used to walk from the top of Castle Road to the Strand,
via up Stoney Alley, cross Chatham Hill into Windmill Road, Gillingham Road, to the level crossing, & wait, until the crossing gates closed. then we would rush up the crossing steps, to fill our heads with
steam & smoke ----- ( we were going swimming ) ----- I would have been eleven, then.

Those were the ---- days ------- walking !

Invicta Alec:
A very interesting document @KeithG. Tons of information therein. Not least of all is confirmation that electrification did indeed reach Gillingham in July 1939. On the second day of the month it claims.

Alec.

KeithG:
This is an interesting read.....

http://extra.southernelectric.org.uk/features/historical-features/kentcoast.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version