Life Stories and Personal Memories > Personalities and Biographies

M.E.R.G.

(1/3) > >>

Colin walsh:
I was evacuated early 1944 from union street Rochester, due to the onset of V1flying bombs or"doodl bugs"went to Pickering in Yorkshire ,to a family called Beryman,Thay had a small holding,never so well of in my life,alli coud eat ,home grown ham,pork and all the fresh veg we wanted.school was shared with the locals,mornings for them,afternoons for us ,to be honest it was better than home,
My second eldest sister married there son George who was in the navy at the time.fortunatly not all evacuees had a bad time😀

MartinR:
(OT for Kent) My family moved to Sheffield in 1965.  In the north and centre of the city there were still areas awaiting rebuilding.  Mind, we had moved up from the Black Country and I can remember playing on bomb sites in the early 1960s, one was directly opposite us across the main road on the way to school.

Smiffy:
I remember being surprised myself when this was discussed on the old forum. I believe it was actually much later in the war when this took place, after the air space around Sheffield had been secured. I'm sure Alan can confirm.

MartinR:
Evacuated to Sheffield to avoid the bombing?  Someone was having a laugh!  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Blitz

AlanTH:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version