Aviation History > Airfields

Manston

(1/3) > >>

johnfilmer:
Uncle Tom it may well be. Filmer Smitherman was, as I understand it, reasonably well read, and interested in history. He needed to work outside on medical grounds according to my mother (his daughter) but it may just have been that he was then out of sight for a pub visit.
I have found many of the things told me as family history to be *somewhat* untrue, but such a reference would fit. Many thanks grandarog.

castle261:
Congratulations - granarog - that ANSWER escaped all of us - except YOU !
More power to your quill pen !

Smiffy:
I think you're probably right as well grandarog, although I think it might have been clearer if worded "U T's Cabin".  People were a lot hardier in those days so the accommodation must have been pretty dire.

MartinR:
I think you may be right Grandarog.  Film versions of Uncle Tom's cabin were released throughout the silent era (but no sound movies).  The book itself was a huge international bestseller until declared non-PC in the 1960s and 1970s.

grandarog:
I reckon you are all on the wrong track. Bearing in mind the date .He is saying it's worse than "Uncle Toms's Cabin" Referring to the cabin in the best best selling novel in the late 19th early 20th century. :) :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version