Leisure, Sport and Entertainment > Cinemas

Cinemas- Gillingham

(1/2) > >>

Dave Smith:
Mentioning films we particularly remember seeing at these cinemas. "Alf's Button Afloat" at the Grand in 1938, "The Way to the Stars" at the Palace in the 40's & cowboy films( my favourite Hop a Long Cassidy but also Gene Autry, Tom Mix, etc.) at the Plaza.

KeithG:
Born at 19, Duncan Road in 1948 and had a few Cinema`s around of which the "Grand " was my favourite I was 8yrs in 1956 and my Mum got breast cancer and she had to go for tests i was bundled off to the Cinema as minor`s were protected then so i had no idea what was going on.
The picture i first saw at the Grand was "The King and I" i loved it so much i went 12 times Mum didn`t mind as i was out the way!
I got thrown out once as i realised the floorboards made a noise if you stomped on them and i went running stomping down the aisle the noise was so much the usherette found me with a torch and threw me out....

Didn`t really go to "The Plaza" at the bottom of the road it was so dark in there and a very lovely clean smell used to waft around, i also liked the red uplights up the sides on the walls.
Yes, i do remember the trains going past when in the "Odeon" as then i knew it?
Only once visited the Top Road Cinema and saw "Journey to the Centre of the Earth"
When we moved to Frindsbury i then had the Wardona down in Strood High Street but i didn`t really like it there as it was quite dirty and had it`s day.
My local Cinema eventually became the Gaumont at Star Hill....superb picture house.

Picture inside the Grand 1920.....

shoot999:

--- Quote from: castle261 on January 31, 2020, 01:48:03 PM ---That cinema on the top road, a strange cinema. What was it called ?
You could sit in the front seats & you were so far back from the screen, like being in the 1.9`s.
I never really liked it. Very long & cold.

--- End quote ---

Started off as the The Palace in 1936 and closed in 1961 as the  Gaumont.

It would have been early 60s when I went bowling there, so must have been converted quite quickly.

grandarog:
Loads of us played ookey from Gillingham Tech at the top of Gardener Street to watch the afternoon performance of Bill Haley's Rock arround the Clockat the Odeon. A teacher was sent to retrieve us but failed . Big B*ll**king the next day but that was to late. :) ;D

castle261:
That cinema on the top road, a strange cinema. What was it called ?
You could sit in the front seats & you were so far back from the screen, like being in the 1.9`s.
I never really liked it. Very long & cold.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version