Burial Places and Memorials > Other Memorials

Royal Marine Cadet`s Memorial.

(1/3) > >>

Colin walsh:
AlanTH,ref Dennis Shackleton he lived just off the Delce road somewhere,had an elder brother I think
There was a small group of Rochester boys in the sea cadets at the time,Colin Godfrey,Malcolm Ellis ,Spencer Murry a few names I recall ,
.A large amount of mony was donated by the public,I think that a problem arose distributing it,?

CAT:
I have in my collection a series of pics of the funeral for the cadets, but have resisted posting them due to sensitivity as they show open graves with headstones and the churchyard ceremony.

AlanTH:
I just remember visiting my elder bro in St Barts just after the accident and meeting a couple of the survivors. Of course at my age then (7) the horror of it didn't register much. I believe the Chief Inspector who investigated the accident was named Arthur Crouch who later on after leaving the police, became the Hackney Carriage Inspector for the local area. Real dry sense of humour that man had.
Did Dennis Shackleton live up Baker St? If so he was a friend of my brothers as we lived at number 49 until about a year later.
AlanH.

Colin walsh:
At the time of the incident,I was a member of the sea cadets ,our base was at the bottom of Kitchener road ,in part of the old fort,the Marine cadets were on there way to a boxing tournament in the collingwood gym,I remember it very well,we were already in the gym when the news came through regarding the tragedy,most vivid memory was the fog ,it REALY was a pea Souper,my opo and I,Dennis Shacklton had to walk home to Rochester.after Chatham &District recalls there buses

KeithG:
One of my friends from school I still see his wife's elder brother was one killed James Cunningham he was just 12yrs old.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version