Industry > Engineering Works and Factories

Aveling & Porter

<< < (2/4) > >>

pete.mason:
invicta Works outlined in red. Didn't wingets occupy part of the site? Was that post A&P or a subsidiary?

Cosmo Smallpiece:
Dave Smith - The Strood civic centre building was Aveling and Porter's offices. I understand they stretched along the esplanade behind there. When I was last that way it was the big B&Q car park. I've no idea of the total extent of their site.

DaveTheTrain:
Hi Dave,

Yes, Avelings did have their own foundry.  There is a nice picture of it here:

https://apps.medway.gov.uk/apps/medwayimages/details.asp?pga=21&searchtype=all&search=aveling&pg=4

In this image they would seem to be casting rear axle brakes.  They are pretty large. 

In the images I posted in image 1 you can see the rivets being squeezed by a large horseshoe shaped rivet squeezer hung over the firebox of a boiler.  This was a much quieter process than hitting the rivets up with hammers which was terribly noisy.  Some would still be done with guns but pretty limited.  In the drop forge shop in the image below I cannot see anything I recognise.

In the second uploaded file I can see in the machine shop, gears and rear axle boxes.  I recognise these from my engine.  They are laying on the floor and about 8inches wide by 15 inches long with a hole in for the axle, with a Bronze bearing pushed in.    The star shaped item is a rear wheel centre what would be bolted or rivetted to a back wheel.

The final upload of the stores is interesting in what it shows.  There is a final drive gear leaning against the racks.  Also more axle boxes and gears and brake drums.

There guys working in the stores must have been strong as some of that stuff is unliftable for me.  I can see only one pole crane at the far end of the stores.
DTT

Dave Smith:
DaveTT. Interesting heavy machinery workshops,not much room "to swing a cat"! Did they also have a foundry or were castings supplied from elsewhere? Of course, the very large lathes would have been necessary for ensuring the wheels & rollers were circular. Where exactly was A&P's large factory in Strood please?

DaveTheTrain:
I recall posting these in the old forum, so will post again here.  Pics of the old works from contemporary catalogues I own.  They make interesting viewing of the practices of the time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version