Maritime History > Harbours and Dockyards

Chatham Dockyard Navy Days

<< < (2/5) > >>

johnfilmer:
As a child in the mid fifties I used to go with my NAAFI lorry driver father, frequently into the Yard. We went as a family to the Navy Days but I remember very little apart from a plane fire being extinguished and lots of bangs. No idea of the ships that we visited, but just about get a vague memory of inside a submarine.
However, what I do remember was the practice that went on before the show.
Clever marching and rifle drills done over and over. The Royal Marine bands were probably my favourite, as well as the dangerous field gun competition. Seeing one of the team stretchered off after coming off the cable carrying two(?) wheels stays with me.
The other brave (insane?) thing was the young rating standing on the top of the mast as the highlight(sic) of that display - button boy someone later told me.

We had a brass ashtray with " Navy Days - Chatham 1935" on it at home. I used to get the job of polishing as part of "Bob-a-Job" week.

Colin walsh:
As a point of interest to me ,are there any members of health physics team 2 on the forum? There were originally 6 members, I now for certain at least 2 of those have shuffled of this mortal coil ,any one of the other three left? If so get in touch .n.hope this is in the right section ,

Colin walsh:
Castle 261'the short answer to your question is no,there is no "safe"level of radiation,all radiation has an adverse affect ,The "safe"dose at that time was many,many times higher than the "safe"level today we used the REM system :-radiation equivalent man.today I understand it's the"sievert"mesurment some thing I have no idea about,much more could perhaps be said about how "business "was conducted in the nuclear complex,but we all signed the official secrets act.so it's be like. Dad keep mum.

Colin walsh:
Granderog,yes I knew Mick Field he was a Leading Monitor,part of the health physics team set up,he was assistant to the duty Health physics Inspectors,I think the basic requirement for the job was you had to be a time served yard tradesman prior to obtaining city &guilds stage I and 2 then pass a set number of verbal examinations ,

grandarog:
My cousin Mike/Mick Field was at the dockyard Nuclear Complex ,think he was a safety monitor or something similar. Some of you may know him . He moved to Hampshire when the yard closed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version