Maritime History > Harbours and Dockyards

Chatham Dockyard Navy Days

<< < (4/5) > >>

stuartwaters:
I have a programme from a Chatham Navy Days dating from the late 1970s at home. I'll dig it out, scan it and post it.

Lyn L:
We used to go to Navy Day while late hubby Bob was in the RN and after he left ( 69) Handy sometimes as he often saw old oppo's on ships that weren't open to the public and we often went down to the mess with them. He had wanted to go on subs, but was too short ! so he plumped for the next best thing for him Sonar Operator. Had fantastic hearing right up until the day he died.

pete.mason:

--- Quote from: KeithG on May 10, 2020, 10:04:49 PM ---I can remember being at Chatham Navy Day's when I was only about 6yrs in 1954.......went in the submarine and on my Dad' shoulders, remember it was fun ducking down.
There were some torpedo like things also in the basins shooting up and down in the water never did know what they were?

--- End quote ---
Helicopter dropped Sonar Buoys?

pete.mason:
I can remember going to Sheerness Navy days too, we used to go to Chatham most years in the 70s. Did get a bit repetive though-how many times could the marines storm HMS Triumph? My main memory of Sheerness is of the water washing through the hulk of the Cornwallis

Lutonman:
I too remember going to a at least one Navy day. Dad was a rigger in the Dockyard. went into at least one sub. Would also have been in the mid 1950's

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version