Maritime History > Shipbuilding and shipyards

The Gillingham Shipyard

<< < (2/4) > >>

Longpockets:
Not sure if you were joking about "stroy winkkal schriber"?

I believe schriber is German for scribe and can also be a surname. Not knowing the context of where the words are could it be a blokes name?

Colin walsh:
The chap who gave me most of my information reguarding fair mile marine ,was an Irish gent,he was a very skilled electrician ,involved in the installation of early radar equipment in coastal craft.
He owned a fish& chip shop in Borstal high st, lived there for years, he once showed me his collection of artifacts "liberated" from the e boats he helped scrap,because some of the electrical stuff on board the e boats was still considerd secret,along with a Naval team he was often the first civilian allowed on board,I remember he told me most of the boats were just as Thay came in,binoculars and biniculs(is that how you spell it) having been removed by the Navy,so he had a large collection of navigation equipment,books ,and other stuff,mostly bearing the swastica stamp.even crockery marked " kriegs marina heer".will I ever find out what a"stroy winkkal schriber "is .

stuartwaters:

--- Quote from: castle261 on April 11, 2020, 02:14:53 PM ---I put an account on the old site.

My mother took in lodgers after the war. I remember a young man. He had come to look a two
small boats at Gillingham They were ex wartime inshore craft. He went out in the morning to
view them. away all day, then he asked me `can you use a `blow torch `.  I said `no`. then he
explained. I have been `breaking down ` one boat, when a man watching said `will you sell
the other boat, to me `. `Quote your price ` the lodger said. They agreed on a price.
A day later, the lodger paid my mother,  `I am away ` he said. Sold the first one as scrap metal `.
The other ` sold that one too `. He was gone.
Who was he, he said when he came, he was ----- ----- son. His father was the man who bought
the battleship `Warspite `for scrap.

--- End quote ---

That didn't go too well for him. HMS Warspite ran aground on The Lizard on her way to the breakers yard and had to be broken up where she lay. Her remains are still visible on the low spring tides.

castle261:
I put an account on the old site.

My mother took in lodgers after the war. I remember a young man. He had come to look a two
small boats at Gillingham They were ex wartime inshore craft. He went out in the morning to
view them. away all day, then he asked me `can you use a `blow torch `.  I said `no`. then he
explained. I have been `breaking down ` one boat, when a man watching said `will you sell
the other boat, to me `. `Quote your price ` the lodger said. They agreed on a price.
A day later, the lodger paid my mother,  `I am away ` he said. Sold the first one as scrap metal `.
The other ` sold that one too `. He was gone.
Who was he, he said when he came, he was ----- ----- son. His father was the man who bought
the battleship `Warspite `for scrap.

stuartwaters:
I knew someone who was involved with the scrap business at Fairmile Wharf in Gillingham. They broke up ex-Kreigsmarine S-Boats (also known as E-Boats) there. He did tell me that they also broke up an ex-Royal Navy submarine there HMS Sentinel.

The German boats had two major advantages over the British ones in that they were diesel powered and steel built, whereas the British ones were powered by aviation fuel (being powered as they were by Rolls Royce Merlin engines) and were constructed from wood.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version