Maritime History > Shipbuilding and shipyards

The Gillingham Shipyard

(1/4) > >>

Colin walsh:
I have spoken to the chap ref my German navigation instruments,as referd to previously ,
1/he decided the word winklelm translated to ANGLE,he said my German was as good as his Chinees
any way from my discription he guessed it was a circular slide rule ,probably used in conjunction with a sextant to navigate at night ,used to convert seasonal star readings to a usable standard.

KeithG:
Nothing really but just to say i was involved with Fibre Glass boat building between 1968 and 1971.
At Hoo St. Werburgh i was involved with Edward Heaths "Morning Cloud" but in 1970 worked at Intermarine at Gads Hill and i am sure our warehouse was the first one on the left inside Steelfields gate as is today.
Steelfields was there then but a smaller company.
We produced fibre glass canoes... Kayaks etc.

Colin walsh:
Peat Smiffy,sorry for my German ,it's some forty years since I set eyes on the article,however in the light of your answers, I m to have a chat with a gent who was a navigator in the Merchant Marine for many years,including German ships out of Hamburg,so I will report back ASAP perhaps he can confirm what is was,though I think what you two came up with sounds about rite to me.thanks

pete.mason:
Google translate came up with angle recorder system so navigation kit or rangefinder?

Smiffy:
Winkel may be one of the other words, meaning "angle" or something related. Schreiber can mean a writer or clerk but schriber translates as "scratch". No idea what stroy could mean.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version