Author Topic: ` Incident `  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Howardws

Re: ` Incident `
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 08:25:50 AM »
A Midshipman from HMS Pincher (An Algerine class minesweeper M294) was in a phone box at the end of the dock talking to his mother when the submarine hit it and knocked it over. When the young man tried to explain all the noise by telling her that a submarine had hit the phone box she came to the conclusion that he was drunk and hung up.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 06:03:37 PM »
Dave -- just put `talent disaster in 1954 ` with your cursor -- & read all about it.
I had just started in the Dockyard in 1953.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 05:44:58 PM »
Dave, you're referring to the Talent Disaster in 1954.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline Dave Smith

Re: ` Incident `-another one!
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 05:38:07 PM »
My friend, Roy Barnard, was a Dockyard Apprentice. He'd done his time & probably about 1951/52, he was working on a sub. in dry dock when the caisson gave way & the dock was flooded, & the sub."unsettled". He was thrown over & damaged his wrist. At the sick bay, he was told it was only a sprain. It didn't get any better, so they started a course of manipulation. Still no better, so they decided to x-ray it- a fracture! So he couldn't carry on as a fitter & they moved him to Rate Fixer. I believe there were worse casualties- someone must know?   

Offline mmitch

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 11:39:10 AM »

I can remember a submarine doing that in the 50s then a low level flyby by a Fairey Gannet with one prop stopped!
mmitch.

Offline castle261

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 02:04:56 PM »
Yes Smiffy -- The Weapons Officer -- sent on a math`s re-fresher course -- I imagine

The pre war days of Navy Days were better than later ones, in my view.
A submarine used to dive in No 3 basin, up to the conning tower, then fire a practice torpedo.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 01:10:03 PM »
I suspect that someone had a bit of a "talking to" over this :)

Offline castle261

` Incident `
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 10:42:47 AM »
While preparing for Navy Days, a Frigate fired its Squid mortar bombs, three of them, that were supposed to land in the water, to the east of No 3 Basin, from the west of No 3 Basin.
This was the day before, the start of Navy Days. Well everything did not go according to plan.
The mortars overshot, where they were supposed to land, and crashed down on the Store Berth.
A rapid re- calculation was needed to correct this. The next time all three landed, in the water.