Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1082359 times)

Offline John Walker

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2019, 09:28:09 AM »
Clue: Victorian but still in use.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2019, 11:52:41 PM »
Clue: - Coastal - a busy place.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #131 on: October 12, 2019, 10:18:27 AM »
Thanks CAT

Next one ...

What and where?

Offline CAT

« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2019, 03:50:33 PM »
You have it John Walker, it is the ruins of St Mary's Church, West Hythe.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #129 on: October 11, 2019, 02:27:08 PM »
I think this is the ruins of St Mary's Church near Hythe ?

Offline Local Hiker

« Reply #128 on: October 11, 2019, 10:39:45 AM »
Not a guess, just a slightly clearer image...

Offline CAT

« Reply #127 on: October 11, 2019, 09:53:29 AM »
I could still claim the bragging rights as your initial question was 'what is the significance of the excavation, and for bonus bragging rights, what (possibly) was found therein'. Your picture only showed a small portion of the total excavation, which did reveal evidence of a Roman building. The locating of the grave within the chapel projecting from the earlier east end was a secondary discovery compared to the overall project, which covered almost the entire crypt floor area.

Moving on, here is my next, which despite it being a roughly 200 year old drawing the ruins have not changed much, but where is it?     

Offline Local Hiker

« Reply #126 on: October 10, 2019, 09:40:36 AM »
MartinR, I should have caviated that other platforms and operating systems are availabe.
Your point regarding avoiding changing original images is also important. I have been known to overwrite originals and regretted it.

My phone camera routinely over exposes pictures however much I fiddle with its settings. so having free, readily available applications to adjust my pictures is useful. Maybe other members who are not aware might be interested to know that they can too.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #125 on: October 10, 2019, 09:16:40 AM »
Hi Local Hiker.  Point taken, but I always archive originals (just as I used to save negatives) and then fiddle with them later (akin to printing).  I'd run this through GIMP to shrink it from 5.6 MB down to 214 kB, and accepted the poor quality as a requirement of this forum.  Maybe a bit more fiddling next time.  BTW, don't assume that everyone is in thrall to Windows!

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: October 10, 2019, 09:08:11 AM »
Well done CAT.  You answered the two key questions: Rochester Cathedral Crypt and the old (Gundulph) East End.  Bragging rights are withdrawn though, no Roman buildings in that shot.  The excavation was at the centre of the East End where according to both Palmer and St. John Hope there was the silver shrine of St. Paulinus (sometime Bishop of Rochester and first Archbishop of York; died 10 October 644) projecting beyond the wall.  St. John Hope reported finding a decayed wooden coffin and bones in this projection.    In 2015 excavations rediscovered this projection and that is the deeper part shown.  Two, as yet undated,  long bones were found there.  Is is possible, but not proved, that this is the last resting place of St. Paulinus and the bones may be his.

Offline Local Hiker

« Reply #123 on: October 10, 2019, 09:05:30 AM »
Maybe I should say this in the Technical thread, but it is quite relevant to Guess the Place.

As with this photo, I often drop the GTP photos onto my laptop and do a few tweeks with Windows 10's basic photo viewer edit functions.
This often improves the clarity of the images to help answer the quiz. (I do this with my own photos routinely anyway)

I include this example of how a few seconds of tweeking can improve lighting and detail.

Have a play. You will be surprised how you can improve your digital images before you archive them, not just GTP images.

Offline CAT

« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2019, 08:16:40 AM »
Rochester Cathedral Crypt with the earlier Norman east end of the Cathedral, Roman building remains and the medieval graves?

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2019, 11:32:01 PM »
A bit trickier one this.  I'd like to know not only which building it is in, but what is the significance of the excavation, and for bonus bragging rights, what (possibly) was found therein?

Offline Local Hiker

« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2019, 10:55:03 PM »
MartinR, correct. I have canoed on the lake, but not ventured out onto the canal itself. I cycle the area regularly.

The canal, and the Queenborough Lines that it is part of, is a scheduled monument, https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1404499

Barton Point Park has a 500yds long 5" model railway track, an airfield for model planes, and a small radio controlled boat lake, all in use that day.

Immediately in the area, historic artifacts include the canal, the remains of an artillery battery (now a holiday camp), and the remains of an early 20th century rifle range, with a nice little cafe for a coffee and an all-day breakfast after exploring.

Over to you.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2019, 10:00:12 PM »
Barton's Point Country Park, Sheerness.  The waterway is part of the defences of Sheerness, and may I say a heck of a long way to paddle in a kayak.