Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1040121 times)

Offline John Walker

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #5177 on: August 28, 2021, 10:54:59 AM »

Abbey Fields, Faversham ?

Offline Diapason

« Reply #5176 on: August 28, 2021, 07:49:49 AM »
Nowhere near Horton Kirby, JohnW.

Very close to an old brickfield, but not part of it, JohnF.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #5175 on: August 27, 2021, 08:50:42 PM »
Diapason,  It looks like the chimney at Horton Kirby but the photos I have show a further section above which might have since been removed?

Offline shoot999

« Reply #5174 on: August 27, 2021, 08:44:08 PM »
Thanks, John! Somewhere nearby there was a coffee shop that served Espresso/Expresso coffee, nothing like today`s brew, but very popular in the fifties.

Next one, a change from churches and pubs. Where would you find this ornate chimney? I think it must be`listed`as all around it has disappeared.

Was the coffee shop The Parlour, just along from the pub? Where the Mods used to hang around during the sixties. I remember the scooters lined up from outside the Parlour right along the Banks.

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #5173 on: August 27, 2021, 05:02:21 PM »
Old Brickfield?
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #5172 on: August 27, 2021, 01:38:13 PM »
Local knowledge . Will give it a couple of days if it doesn't go will take it. :)

Offline Diapason

« Reply #5171 on: August 27, 2021, 01:15:15 PM »
Thanks, John! Somewhere nearby there was a coffee shop that served Espresso/Expresso coffee, nothing like today`s brew, but very popular in the fifties.

Next one, a change from churches and pubs. Where would you find this ornate chimney? I think it must be`listed`as all around it has disappeared.

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #5170 on: August 27, 2021, 10:44:58 AM »
It is now a Pizza Hut Diapason, well done.
It was The Hare & Hounds and Railway Hotel. The latter name added when Chatham Central station was opened opposite in 1892. That white elephant spur line was closed in 1911 and all traces are now gone. Badly named as neither in Chatham, nor central!

The little shop next door at 342, still standing when this photo was taken about 1960, was where my father was born in 1909. His father was trading as a baker and confectioner, and the family moved a little up the road to 350 by the 1911 Census. There they also had a small Cafe to sell the produce.
The uncropped photo has a car roof below the distinctive railings, which I thought was a clear indication of St Margarets Banks, so I adjusted it ::)

Offline Diapason

« Reply #5169 on: August 27, 2021, 09:14:43 AM »
Is it the Pizza Hut, next door to the "Hope Centre", Rochester? Although not absolutely sure, but I was drawn to this area by the railings, having walked by many times en route to Rochester Art School.

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #5168 on: August 27, 2021, 08:12:33 AM »
Yes it still stands, now “repurposed”.

The original name was added to in 1890s, but the additional name was redundant by 1911, although not removed from the building.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #5167 on: August 27, 2021, 07:45:17 AM »
Think I have  it ,shop and Flats now I think.Will hold off. :)

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #5166 on: August 26, 2021, 09:54:46 PM »
It is Medway, JW

Offline John Walker

« Reply #5165 on: August 26, 2021, 09:05:59 PM »
Thanks for the detailed info on St Catherines Church CAT.

JohnFilmer

Medway Towns area?

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #5164 on: August 26, 2021, 06:34:07 PM »
Thanks CAT, I really should have known that one earlier as I have seen old pictures of it before, and done a drive-by, by accident when trying to avoid traffic (unsuccessfully!). There have been a few ancestors associated with this church, one, a Thomas Clements 1695-1772, married once there, once in St Mary Faversham, and again, probably back at Preston.
Onwards etc - where is this dead pub?

Offline CAT

« Reply #5163 on: August 26, 2021, 12:06:16 PM »
You have it johnfilmer, it is indeed St Catherine's Church, Preston. Not the only Preston in the county and now largely absorbed into the suburbs of the town and former port of Faversham. There is the suggestion that Preston as a settlement may predate the founding of Faversham as it sits further up the head of the creek and is closer to the line of Roman Watling Street. Though a Roman villa is known under the remains of Faversham abbey, Preston church appears to be older than Faversham church. Certainly, there is a rare piece of carved Anglo-Saxon cross shaft in Preston church, which came from the blocking of an early Norman window disturbed during the church's restoration.

Over to you johnfilmer