Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1040043 times)

Offline Beachbum

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #5012 on: August 01, 2021, 10:47:41 PM »
Social Club?

pete.mason

« Reply #5011 on: August 01, 2021, 10:07:38 PM »
licenced for alcohol

Offline John Walker

« Reply #5010 on: August 01, 2021, 10:06:59 PM »
surgery?

pete.mason

« Reply #5009 on: August 01, 2021, 10:05:56 PM »
not a hall

Offline John Walker

« Reply #5008 on: August 01, 2021, 07:03:34 PM »
Is it as it appears - a village hall ?

pete.mason

« Reply #5007 on: August 01, 2021, 06:38:45 PM »
Try this one, members only

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #5006 on: August 01, 2021, 02:51:00 PM »
Well done Pete, it is indeed the bridge over Vigo Hill.
There was a large house, Trosley Towers, built in the late 1800s and this connected the house to other parts of the estate, now Trosley Country Park.
The house was demolished in 1936.
Trosley is, of course, the correct local pronunciation of Trottiscliffe.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

pete.mason

« Reply #5005 on: August 01, 2021, 02:04:14 PM »
Vigo Hill/Pilgrims Way/Taylors La  Trottiscliffe?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #5004 on: August 01, 2021, 01:58:54 PM »
Found it but I'll hold fire for a while.  Good one JohnFilmer  :)

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #5003 on: August 01, 2021, 12:28:47 PM »
Interesting place JW.
I had a nice spot lined up, but for some reason when I try to screenshot GSV I have got either a blank white image, or a blank black one. After a few tries and a full reboot, I still got the same result. Time to finally get out with the camera I think.

So back to a map based one. This from a 25inch to the mile OS from 1896. The bridge over the lane is still there, but where?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #5002 on: July 31, 2021, 06:14:12 PM »
It is quiet JW, but has given me time to find it.

Royton Manor I think.

Well done JohnFilmer.  So glad you found it - I was running out of clues  ;D .     Over to you.

51.220488, 0.724991

ROYTON, vulgarly called Rayton, is a manor in this parish, situated at a small distance eastward from Chillton, the mansion of which had a free chapel annexed to it, the ruins of which still remain.
In the year 1259, anno 44 Henry III. this manor was in the possession of Simon Fitzalan; in which year a final agreement was made in the King's court at Westminster, between Roger, abbot of St. Augustine, and the said Simon, concerning the customs and services which the abbot demanded of him for his free tenement, which he held of him in Royton, viz. one marc of silver yearly, and suit at the court of Lenham, which suit the abbot released to him on his agreeing to pay the rent above-mentioned, and suit at the court of St. Augustine, at Canterbury.
]His successor was Robert de Royton, who most probably assumed his name from his possessions at this place. He founded a free chapel here, and annexed it to the mansion, which thence acquired the name of Royton chapel.
In which name it continued till the reign of king Henry VI. when, by an only daughter and heir, it went in marriage to James Dryland, esq. of Davington, whose daughter and sole heir Constance, having married to Sir Thomas Walsingham, of Chesilhurst, entitled her husband to the possession of it, and he died possessed of it anno 7 Edward IV. and one of his descendants, in the beginning of the reign of king Henry VIII. alienated this manor to Edward Myllys, who did homage to the abbot of St. Augustine's for it as half a knight's fee, which he had lately purchased in Royton, near Lenham. He bore for his arms, Party per fess, sable and argent, a pale and three bears erect, counterchanged, collared and chained, or, from which name it was not long afterwards sold to Robert Atwater, whose arms were, Sable, a fess wavy, voided azure, between three swans, proper, who leaving two daughters and coheirs, Mary, the youngest of them, carried it, with other estates at Charing and elsewhere in this neighbourhood, to Robert Honywood, esq. of Henewood, in Postling, eldest son of John Honywood, esq. by his second wife, daughter of Barnes, of Wye.
[/i][/font]

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #5001 on: July 31, 2021, 05:22:45 PM »
It is quiet JW, but has given me time to find it.

Royton Manor I think.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #5000 on: July 31, 2021, 02:56:21 PM »
Very quiet - I'm guessing you've all gone on holiday or more clues are needed  ;D  .

Between HS1 and another rail line which runs from Ashford to London.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #4999 on: July 30, 2021, 10:28:53 PM »
Between M20 and A20.   It is marked on Google Maps as you zoom in with the name and a castle icon although it isn't a castle of course.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #4998 on: July 30, 2021, 04:48:25 PM »
Has a free chapel annexed to it, the ruins of which still remain.