Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1040053 times)

Offline CAT

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #3707 on: January 22, 2021, 12:14:15 PM »
I think you might be right grandarog. If correct then the road along in front of them was called Hernecliff Gardens?

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #3706 on: January 22, 2021, 12:04:21 PM »
With a bit of Google research the cottages appear to have been in the  Village of Hampton on Sea at Herne Bay.Apparently it became Sunken Hampton Under Sea in 1921 when erosion sunk the lot.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #3705 on: January 22, 2021, 11:48:03 AM »
John. As these cottages could be anywhere in Kent, I'll start the ball rolling with the question; N.,S.,E.,W. or Central?

East Dave.

A tramway, a pub and a stream were the other side of these cottages.
The cottages no longer exist.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #3704 on: January 22, 2021, 11:26:57 AM »
For anyone planning to visit the site, be aware that it catches every breath of wind, ie it's cold!  The path up to the site is fine for mobility scooters, but manual wheelchairs might find it steep.  On the site there is limited access from the main path, but if the weather is good and the ground dry it is fairly flat and you can trundle around.  Be aware of rabbit holes, I got a wheel stuck down one and it just span uselessly!  disabled parking is right by the entrance to the car park and IIRC is free for blue badge holders.

Offline shoot999

« Reply #3703 on: January 22, 2021, 11:19:58 AM »
 Medway Towns?

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #3702 on: January 22, 2021, 11:19:26 AM »
John. As these cottages could be anywhere in Kent, I'll start the ball rolling with the question; N.,S.,E.,W. or Central?

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #3701 on: January 22, 2021, 11:12:01 AM »
Thanks from me also CAT. Something- among many!- that i didn't know about Kent. Someone a while ago complained that so much of KHF was taken up by people "playing" the GTP. Maybe if, like me, they were to read, and sometimes follow up, the interesting additions like this, they might get more out of the site? Good on yer!

Offline John Walker

« Reply #3700 on: January 22, 2021, 11:00:21 AM »
Thanks Cat.  More in-depth info from you - always appreciated.

Next one ...

Not on GSV so unless someone recognises this row of cottages, clues/questions will probably be needed.

Offline CAT

« Reply #3699 on: January 22, 2021, 08:40:30 AM »
You are correct John Walker, it is indeed the remains of the east gate's guard chamber of Reculver Roman Fort. Situated on the north Kent coast, it was positioned to protect the mouth of the Thames Estuary, whilst also the north opening to the former Wantsum Channel. It was the Wantsum Channel, which extended around the western and southern side of Thanet that gave it the title if 'Isle of Thanet' as it was once truly surrounded by water. The eastern end of the Channel was guarded by Richborough Roman Fort, but falling sea levels, silting and subsequent draining caused the former Channel to become grazing pasture.

There was not a recent archaeological excavation at Reculver, but a recent scheme of de-vegetation and consolidation of the walls enabled them to be exposed again.

Over to you John Walker   

Offline John Walker

« Reply #3698 on: January 21, 2021, 04:56:29 PM »
Reculver then ?  I couldn't find reference to a recent dig there so dismissed it.

Offline CAT

« Reply #3697 on: January 21, 2021, 03:29:57 PM »
Nor Minster (either one). Much older than both. From this site, the coast of Essex can be seen, as well as the eastern end of Sheppey

Offline John Walker

« Reply #3696 on: January 21, 2021, 02:37:50 PM »
Minster ?

Offline CAT

« Reply #3695 on: January 21, 2021, 01:42:38 PM »
Not there either John Walker. Its a much older site than any period home.

It once provided protection to the sea, but also overlooked a watery inlet.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #3694 on: January 21, 2021, 12:02:16 PM »
How about Esole Manor House Nonington ?

Offline CAT

« Reply #3693 on: January 21, 2021, 11:55:43 AM »
Your heading a bit cooler to far west now John Walker. Expand on your initial guess and think coastal.