Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1040071 times)

Offline Diapason

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #3347 on: December 09, 2020, 04:29:24 PM »
No tower;  Grade II listed;  built in 1881;  closed in 2000;  sold for £345,000 in 2012.

I always thought there was something odd about this church but hadn`t realised the tower was missing! :-\

Offline CAT

« Reply #3346 on: December 09, 2020, 02:23:29 PM »
From that angle it looks like it has no tower?

Offline Diapason

« Reply #3345 on: December 09, 2020, 01:13:25 PM »
John! Yes, East Kent.

Pete! When I took this photo, I think the tiles were intact. The poor quality is due to my clumsy editing.

Here`s another view from Google Earth which doesn`t appear to improve the quality.

pete.mason

« Reply #3344 on: December 09, 2020, 11:11:32 AM »
Is the roof stripped of tiles or is it the image quality?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #3343 on: December 09, 2020, 10:34:54 AM »
Not a lot to go on but how about East Kent ?

Offline Diapason

« Reply #3342 on: December 09, 2020, 09:34:03 AM »
Thanks CAT!

Here`s one that I didn`t know existed until a few years ago.

Offline CAT

« Reply #3341 on: December 08, 2020, 12:15:59 PM »
I wonder if it is not so forthcoming?

Whilst Diapason definitely got the correct church (as is the point of 'Guess the Place'), so I'm more than willing to let him take the reigns.

However, the significance of the Romney Marsh sight line (extending from adjacent to Ruckinge churchyard to the coast just south of Dymchurch) of the Greenwich - Paris survey was that it subsequently went on to form the primary base line for the initial triangle upon which all other triangulations were taken. It was these triangles, extending from designated point to points (known as triganomical points (trig points to those familiar to mapping), which enabled the first accurately mapped survey of the entire United Kingdom to be produced. Though all the legwork was undertaken by Major-General William Roy, he died (1st July 1790) before the completion of the mapping had occurred under artillery officer William Mudge. It was his final maps that became known as the real 1st Edition Ordnance survey (known as the Mugde Maps) with Kent being produced in 1801.

Over to you Diapason   

Offline CAT

« Reply #3340 on: December 07, 2020, 02:56:18 PM »
Read further on Wiki Diapason and it is there, though not its full significance.

Offline CAT

« Reply #3339 on: December 07, 2020, 02:54:03 PM »
You are right with the church, and partially correct with the eventual sightings between Greenwich and Paris. Prior to this, there was a further sequence of measurements that aided in mapping the UK.

Offline Diapason

« Reply #3338 on: December 07, 2020, 02:33:27 PM »
I`m fairly certain the church is St. Mary Magdalene, Ruckinge but I have resorted to `Wiki` to discover that it was used as a sighting point to calculate the distance between the Royal Greenwich Observatory and the Paris Observatory.

Offline CAT

« Reply #3337 on: December 07, 2020, 09:59:37 AM »
Many thanks John Walker

An intriguing little church with an unusual dedication. It is reputedly dedicated after Rumwold, one of three sons of the King of Mercia, who cried 'Christianus Sum' at his birth and subsequently died three days later.

Though this is 'Guess the Place',  here is my next, but what is its significance with mapping the country?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #3336 on: December 07, 2020, 09:31:00 AM »
St Rumwold's Church, Bonnington?

That was quick CAT :)  -  Over to you.

Rumwold was a seventh-century saint about whom very little is known, and there are only eight churches dedicated to him in England. Bonnington is a small two-cell church of great charm which stands on the banks of the Royal Military Canal. The building is of fourteenth-century appearance which resulted from a major reconstruction of a Saxo-Norman original. The east wall contains three Norman windows. There is no difference between floor level in nave and chancel, which creates a homely and less mysterious feel. On the north side of the chancel arch is a small image niche, above which is a bracket which would have supported the rood beam. On the south side is an enormous pulpit with a large sounding board, whilst over the chancel arch is a large Royal Arms of George III dated 1774. The north-west window contains fragments of medieval glass, including three little heads, whilst the small bell turret is supported at the west end of the church by an enormous wooden construction.

Offline CAT

« Reply #3335 on: December 07, 2020, 08:26:36 AM »
St Rumwold's Church, Bonnington?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #3334 on: December 06, 2020, 11:12:13 PM »
You've done it again John Walker .It is the Triptych above the War Memorial Board in the Church.
Thought Diapason would have jumped in on this one..
Over to you. :)

Well, that was in the true spirit of the title of this thread - GUESS the place.  It really was a guess so how lucky was that.  Mind you, the clues really helped.

Next one  ...

Offline Diapason

« Reply #3333 on: December 06, 2020, 06:45:20 PM »
I don`t know how I missed that one. I`ve just found it among my collection of church photos.