Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1040076 times)

Offline John Walker

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #917 on: February 04, 2020, 02:09:25 PM »
Start of Calverly Road, Tunbridge Wells.  As far as I can make out, only the building behind the road sign remains at this end of the road. 

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #916 on: February 04, 2020, 01:55:31 PM »
John is heading in the right direction. Not Riverhead.

KeithG

« Reply #915 on: February 04, 2020, 10:20:04 AM »
I have to ask cos keep thinking about it.

Any chance it is at Riverhead where there was an old A25 junction

Offline John Walker

« Reply #914 on: February 04, 2020, 01:36:14 AM »
Tonbridge High Street ?

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #913 on: February 03, 2020, 11:26:18 PM »
Sorry John - go south.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #912 on: February 03, 2020, 10:57:37 PM »
Dartford High Street ?

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #911 on: February 03, 2020, 10:02:26 PM »

Naughty boy reporting in  ;)

I posted this on the old forum a long time ago as I found it in my photo collection but could not identify it myself at the time. Not sure when it was taken, but you may note that the street signs are blacked out which is not something I have done - this is unretouched from the original.

KeithG

« Reply #910 on: February 03, 2020, 09:54:26 PM »
   Thats fine Keith G I was to be fair thinking of the woodyard but of Scotts yard in Medway St between the flour mills and Russells garage. Remember a big fire there in the 60s ?
Thank you for that smiler.

KeithG

« Reply #909 on: February 03, 2020, 09:51:55 PM »
Smiffy you did not offend me at all...... Having the need for exactness has always got me into trouble even at 71yrs  :o  that is what happens when you have a trade that needs things to be correct.

So you answered without having your picture ready.... Your a naughty boy :D

Offline smiler

• Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #908 on: February 03, 2020, 09:47:16 PM »
   Thats fine Keith G I was to be fair thinking of the woodyard but of Scotts yard in Medway St between the flour mills and Russells garage. Remember a big fire there in the 60s ?

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #907 on: February 03, 2020, 09:44:13 PM »
KeithG, sorry if I caused you offence, I was not implying at all that you were actually being cruel or unfair. I was only joking - hence the smiley!

I don't usually join in with Guess the Place so I'll have to have a rummage to see what I can find. Watch this space...

KeithG

« Reply #906 on: February 03, 2020, 09:27:14 PM »
smiffy... you are correct , but i am not being cruel at all as it is a game?

Look at smilers question: "Is it between Chatham High Street and Medway Street could that be Scotts wood Yard or the flour mill in front"

The picture i put up is not between High Street and Medway Street and that particular part of Scotts is where the boats unloaded the timber at the wharf next door to Hookers mill and not behind it?

I have a picture of an invoice which says Wharves - High Street and Medway Street and my picture was of the High Street branch.

I have not hidden anything and have been truthful but nobody found the building wall which still exists?

Perhaps you should cast your mind back quite a few years when a Guess the Place picture was of a clock tower with the only one hand on the Two....so everyone was looking for a one handed clock face but in fact it was Ten Past two ....nobody complained just fun!

I used to frequent this place for my timber in the late `60`s early `70`s as i was a qualified  Joiner / Shopfitter

Anyway sorry to those who think it was unfair but i did answer properly all questions asked.

Over to You smiffy

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #905 on: February 03, 2020, 08:59:05 PM »
KeithG, I think you're being very cruel here... :)

I know exactly where this is - smiler actually got it, it's Scott's timber yard. The entrance depicted is in (or was in) Chatham high street. The main entrance was around the corner in Railway street. This is one of a set of pictures taken in 1982, probably just prior to demolition. The building on the right has I think, always been a building society.

KeithG

« Reply #904 on: February 03, 2020, 07:37:55 PM »
smiler....No, the building that the wall belongs to and is still there was not a Pub but of course they were all around.

Offline smiler

• Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #903 on: February 03, 2020, 07:24:47 PM »
Was the building thats still there once a pub