Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1054876 times)

Offline jimawilliams

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2019, 10:26:26 PM »
Thanks johnfilmer for posting and good to be back on the forum stuartwaters.I admit to "Google Cheating" this one from Australia - Mid Kent Water Company Pumping Stattion, Newnham.See https://www.flickr.com/photos/22420011@N05/6191542437

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2019, 06:00:53 PM »
I'll recuse myself from this one cos I've worked there  8)
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2019, 05:31:40 PM »
OK, I'll go for it.
A re-used image of one of the many water related buildings on the north downs - but where?
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2019, 04:57:21 PM »
I'm confused too. Technically, Stewie didn't answer and rightly declined when offered it and Localhiker gave the answer away anyway.

For the sake of fairness, I'd say the first to put up a photo has it and can run with it.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 04:51:03 PM »
Greetings
I have been the Ghost in the Machine for a while, only quietly watching, as we have had house guests from America keeping us busy.
Anyway after a silly-o'clock trip to Heathrow normality may once again return.

I have yet to master 3rd party images, so may stay with simply attaching images for the moment.

So, I am confused, are we playing, or did it grind to halt after the first attempt, or is the post by Diapason a live one - if so I will need a clue or three.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2019, 05:25:25 PM »
Just for info, I've now enabled image uploading (which I hadn't realised wasn't enabled - the default on this version of SMF is to have it disabled). Please see Announcements.

Offline Diapason

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2019, 05:10:32 PM »

Just testing!
Using "postimages".
Thanks for the tip, Smiffy.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 05:09:48 PM »
I'm using https://postimages.org at the moment. It seems to work well, you can have separate albums (they call them galleries) and I've uploaded a 4000x3000 image without issue. Clicking on an image and selecting "Share" gives lots of link options, including one specifically for forums.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 04:26:38 PM »
I'll have a look at the images issue over the weekend. Unfortunately, I am on a long-running job miles away which requires early starts and late finishes and am monitoring the Forum on my smart phone. Please bear with me for another day or so on the images issue.

I only stated my preference for 3rd party image hosting because it reduces the space requirement on the server. If it's something (and it clearly is) which not everyone is comfortable with for whatever reason, then it's something I need to look at again, which I'll do over the course of the weekend.

Offline Local Hiker

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 02:47:32 PM »
Invicta Alec, in "Reply#3", Stuartwaters (admin) suggested posting photos from a 3rd party site rather than directly into the KHF database.
I tried linking to Flickr images, but it only showed the link in the post rather than the photo.

I have created a free account on photo-hosting site Imgur, https://imgur.com/register, specifically to host photos for KHF. (I may use it for other stuff now I have it, but KHF was the main reason to create the account)

To post Canterbury West photo earlier, I loaded the photo to my Igmur account.
If you right-click on the image loaded to Igmur, one of the options offered is "Copy image address". Select that option.
You can then paste the copied link into your KHF post that your are editing/creating.
Instead of the link address showing where you paste the link, it displays the photo directly from your Igmur account.

I am not advocating that this is the best way or the only way, but it is the way that I have adopted to post images in KHF.
I hope it is of some help.

If there are any more queries, I will answer them in "technical queries" post rather than off topic here in "Guess the place"

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 11:25:37 AM »
Can we have a little tutorial on how to post photos directly into our posts please?

All I can find is the "insert image" button but that only allows a link to an external site for viewing.

Alec.

Offline Stewie

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 09:17:36 AM »

Ah!

Now I did not actually name the place, so I technically have not won  :) .  Also I have no photos or means of posting them so I must respectfully decline  :-[ , but perhaps the next player / picture may continue the game.

Offline Local Hiker

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 08:45:36 AM »
Stewie, that's the place!
The green name board says "Canterbury West", scrambled a little in my photo.
I had dropped my family off at the Marlow Theatre, and spent the evening wandering around beautiful, historic Canterbury.
"Guess the place" is up and running. Over to you...

Offline Stewie

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 07:18:47 AM »
But somehow to the West?

Offline Local Hiker

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 09:15:57 PM »
I was in East Kent.