Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1040328 times)

Offline John Walker

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #9183 on: November 15, 2023, 02:04:51 PM »
That is the old George Inn, now George House, The Mall, Faversham.

I think i have said before that the brain is an incredible thing.  I recognised the photo immediately but have not walked past it more than twice, and then only in the dark.

DTT

Well done DTT.  I really thought that would have lasted longer as it's tucked out of the way.  The arch on the right is the entrance to the subway for Faversham Station.

Over to you

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #9182 on: November 15, 2023, 01:01:17 PM »
That is the old George Inn, now George House, The Mall, Faversham.

I think i have said before that the brain is an incredible thing.  I recognised the photo immediately but have not walked past it more than twice, and then only in the dark.

DTT

Offline John Walker

« Reply #9181 on: November 15, 2023, 11:26:40 AM »
East Kent?  Maybe Canterbury?

East Kent but not Canterbury.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #9180 on: November 15, 2023, 09:54:42 AM »
East Kent?  Maybe Canterbury?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #9179 on: November 15, 2023, 12:01:00 AM »
Thanks MartinR

I was lucky with that one.  My first thought of waters that went East West was the Swale. Other map detail led me to Haty Ferry area.  Some more GTPs on waterways would be good.

Next one.  What and where?

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #9178 on: November 14, 2023, 05:11:38 PM »
That's also my understanding.  JW located it and won, JF added some further information.

Online johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #9177 on: November 14, 2023, 04:33:03 PM »
Are we all waiting for each other?

My understanding is that JW guessed correctly, and I just agreed with him citing the confirming indications of Harty Ferry.

So I think it should be over to JW.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #9176 on: November 12, 2023, 06:09:20 PM »
Ah well, that went faster than expected.  Oare Creek doesn't appear, it joins Faversham Creek further south.  John F's contribution is also correct, I left it there on purpose.  I'm guessing that you are aware of the history of Harty Ferry, if not there is a short summary here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harty.

The "XXXX sands" dead centre are actually the "Horse Sands".  They dry at low water (26 means a drying height of 2.6m) but are covered at high water, a nice trap for the unwary.  A year or two back I set off with my wife and one son in our 2.4m dinghy from Hart Ferry.  As we crossed the sands a head popped up to look at us, so I cut the power and we started seal watching.  A few minutes later up popped a slightly smaller head and both swam around about 50' away.  Then a smaller head popped as well and came within 25' of the boat, playing and looking at us with curiosity.  After at least a quarter of an hour we gently moved off.  A couple of hours later we came back and by now the tide was ebbing.  there on the sands were the three seals sunning themselves: Dad, Mum and pup.

Online johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #9175 on: November 12, 2023, 05:11:47 PM »
That looks like a pub top left, with a clear path across between the moorings, so Harty Ferry fits with your guess JW.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #9174 on: November 12, 2023, 04:59:29 PM »
Quick stab in the muddy waters.

The Swale at the mouths of Faversham and Oare Creek?

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #9173 on: November 12, 2023, 03:21:13 PM »
This is of the nature of an experiment, and one to get your brain cells working!  Having solved one of John's maps, I though I'd see how well you could do with the water.  The enclosed is taken from a modern chart, but you'll notice I've removed all the interesting names. :-)

Have a go all!

Online johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #9172 on: November 12, 2023, 10:59:21 AM »
I think that postcodes have removed many address issues.

Sticking with Newington, in the 60s we had to use “near Sittingbourne “ otherwise it could easily go to Thanet.

Here near Doddington I have problems with eBay, who do not put enough address info on the main listing. I sold a couple of large, collection only items, and both purchasers thought we were in Lincolnshire. Tried getting around that by using location as Sittingbourne only for a purchaser from Sheppey to have a whinge…

They made finding out where jobs were a dream, especially rural addresses and GSV when it previously was advisable to take your own secateurs and torch to uncover the house name  :o

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #9171 on: November 12, 2023, 10:21:27 AM »
Next one following shortly.

BTW, there used to be a lot of places named XXX-next-YYY and addresses like 123 main road, Somevillage, near sometown, county.  The "next"s and "near"s seem to have vanished with the prevalence of post-codes, I've no idea if they are connected by the timing seems to be accurate.

Online johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #9170 on: November 12, 2023, 08:39:37 AM »
You have it all sorted out MartinR.

The Church’s full title when I was Head Chorister (1964) was St Mary the Virgin, Newington-next-Sittingbourne.

Over to you.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #9169 on: November 11, 2023, 11:54:50 PM »
The Church is St Mary the Virgin.  The road is Iwade Road.  The settlement is the northern extension of Newington across the Railway.  The "other water feature" are watercress beds NNE of the church and the creek is Halstow Creek which flows into Stangate Creek and hence the Medway.

EDIT: The location of the sheepwash at the top of the water feature is:
  • Nat Grid:                    TQ 86262 65246
  • Nearest Post Code:   ME9 7HZ
  • Co-ords (WGS84):     51°21'21"N,000°40'25"E or 51.35575,0.67371