Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1040052 times)

Offline John Walker

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #8657 on: July 05, 2023, 10:29:52 AM »
A shrine?

As far as I can find, it's listed as a chapel rather than a shrine.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #8656 on: July 05, 2023, 09:44:48 AM »
A shrine?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #8655 on: July 04, 2023, 11:25:18 PM »
Thanks, Beachbum - all very interesting.  Tunnels always seem to hold a fascination.

Right, here goes with the next GTP.

Offline Beachbum

« Reply #8654 on: July 04, 2023, 02:23:40 PM »
Yes John Walker, that top one is at the top of the stairs (in the image below) from the brick archway passage in the previous post.

The story was that they came out in the Granville Gardens, which lines up. The entrance was said to be along the side of Victoria Road. After a long search for a good image (Granville Gardens), there is nothing there? To put it at the back by Truro Road, makes no sense and I have processed the history of this plot from 1920-1970 with all sorts of uses.

45 years ago, a friend was caring for a former Police Sergeant in sandwich. He knew everything about the Tunnels. He said that it came out in the basement of the Granville Hotel. Best guess perhaps into the Ballroom (bombed out).

Nobody has actual proof of where it came out yet, so we all have an idea?

Final image is actual plan showing Tunnels and yellow marks for these two doors.

So until technology shows us more, we do not know (yet).

Offline John Walker

« Reply #8653 on: July 04, 2023, 12:32:53 AM »
I've just realised that the entrance to the tunnel at sea level can still be seen (photo).  I wrongly assumed it had been lost.  There is another tunnel entrance above this one in Marina Road.  Are they connected and part of the same system?

Offline Beachbum

« Reply #8652 on: July 04, 2023, 12:16:28 AM »
Not the Granville in Ramsgate.

The Map is wrong, I will sort out some more stuff tomorrow.

The photo is the Tunnel from the seafront

TBC

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #8651 on: July 03, 2023, 09:45:47 PM »
Map Carta shows quiet nicely where the railway tunnel alignment was relative to the hotel.  I thought the tunnel entrance was in the performance garden of the hotel between  Albion Rd and Victoria road. This the white  area in photo two of the blog I referenced. Thus if it was used to access the railway line that location , i.e the garden or band area would be in better alignment with the tunnel.
DTT

Ps.

I have just found this YouTube video of the Granvile bar and cellars and tunnel.  I think it is Sandgate

Offline John Walker

« Reply #8650 on: July 03, 2023, 08:46:00 PM »
Some interesting info emerging.

I'm holding fire on putting my next GTP up so that it doesn't get lost in replies from the previous GTP.  :)

Offline Beachbum

« Reply #8649 on: July 03, 2023, 08:38:14 PM »
Letter of complaint regarding the Granville Tunnel 1947

Offline Beachbum

« Reply #8648 on: July 02, 2023, 09:19:02 PM »
Quote : During the height of its popularity in the late Victorian Era, the Granville Hotel had its own named destination on London trainlines to Ramsgate. It is thought there was a tunnel from the hotel down to the sands coming out in one of the properties on the seafront but was closed when the Granville Theatre was built.
Fact : In 1947 when they excavated down to build the current theatre, they capped off this Tunnel. The owner of the Granville Hotel was not amused. This Tunnel was used by the Army in WW2 to get to the beach level and back up to the Clifftop Gun Batteries.
It is believed that this Tunnel came out in the Bombed out and demolished area of the Hotel. No evidence has ever been found of it coming out in the gardens (Poldark Court).
Research continues........

Offline John Walker

« Reply #8647 on: July 02, 2023, 11:45:54 AM »
A very interesting article DTT.  I often wondered what that door was but guessed it had some connection with the theatre.

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #8646 on: July 02, 2023, 10:38:17 AM »
Following on from beachbum's   Granville Hotel GTP and mention of a secret door and tunnel there is an interesting  account about it here

https://thanetonline.blogspot.com/2014/02/granville-theatre-ramsgate-pictures.html

Offline Stewie

« Reply #8645 on: July 02, 2023, 07:58:34 AM »
That balloon flight must have been amazing Stewie.  I often see them around Canterbury drifting silently across the countryside.  Silently until the burners fire of course.

While searching on Google Earth around the Wadhurst area and beyond, I was gobsmacked by the number of large private mansions in the area.  There's money around the county but not in my pocket.

It was quite an experience JohnWalker. As part of the flight you get to help prepare the balloon before and pack away the balloon afterwards. The only noise is from the occasional bursts of the burner and the sound coming up from below. There is also no wind as you are traveling at the same speed. We got up to 2500 feet limited by the Gatwick flight path here but it was high enough for me! Our pilot pointed out some large buildings including ones owned by Johhny Depp and Rowan Atkinson.  :)

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #8644 on: July 01, 2023, 11:28:48 PM »
I was trying to remember the wind direction and hence get a fix on the place.  Well done John.
  • Nat Grid:                   TQ 619 406
  • Nearest Post Code:  TN2 4QS
  • Co-ords (WGS84):    51°08'31"N,000°18'50"E or 51.14205,0.31375

Offline John Walker

« Reply #8643 on: July 01, 2023, 09:58:26 PM »
That balloon flight must have been amazing Stewie.  I often see them around Canterbury drifting silently across the countryside.  Silently until the burners fire of course.

While searching on Google Earth around the Wadhurst area and beyond, I was gobsmacked by the number of large private mansions in the area.  There's money around the county but not in my pocket.