Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1055045 times)

Offline Beachbum

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #7219 on: August 31, 2022, 12:32:45 AM »
A better view of the Dome.......

Offline Beachbum

« Reply #7218 on: August 31, 2022, 12:18:38 AM »
Hades, Another shot.............

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #7217 on: August 30, 2022, 10:54:40 PM »
That's excellent Beachbum.  You can see two of the alcoves which were constructed for the bathing machines and circular dance floor which was where the horses could turn around.  does anyone have any more shots within the area?

Offline Beachbum

« Reply #7216 on: August 30, 2022, 08:58:47 PM »
Hades was a great Nightclub with Spencer the DJ. Regular fights meant plastic beer pints.Very dark inside with a Kitchen up some stairs and a balcony to view the dance floor.

I went back in 1990's and was shocked at the poor condition structurally, but amazed by the huge complex and it's past.

Offline Beachbum

« Reply #7215 on: August 30, 2022, 08:29:13 PM »
Lido complex photo attached showing the Railway lift

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #7214 on: August 30, 2022, 05:21:09 PM »
The nightclub was constructed in 1962 by adding a concrete curved staircase and gallery to the original (now listed) circular chamber.  This was constructed 1824-28 for the storage of bathing machines and formed part of the Clifton Baths.  The circular chamber has 8 alcoves where the bathing machines were stored, the large circular area allowing the horses to turn around.  A tunnel connected the chamber to the beach.  Also connected was the "Lower Reservoir" which was a rectangular structure filled by the tides.  It was used as a plunge pool for ladies and children, men of course used the sea.

Offline shoot999

« Reply #7213 on: August 30, 2022, 02:42:43 PM »
Taken from the top of the cliffs in the 50s

Offline John Walker

« Reply #7212 on: August 30, 2022, 01:58:25 PM »
Interesting stuff.  I've been going to that area since I was a nipper and don't recall seeing that lift.  In the 60s, Hades Night Club was underground at the Lido.  We supplied some of the equipment.  It had a great atmosphere with all the disco lighting but when the service lights were on, it was a dirty tip of a place.

This photo shows the Lido in its prime.  The lift can be seen on the left, partly hidden behind the cliff.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #7211 on: August 30, 2022, 12:31:11 PM »
I've been doing a bit of research on the site, and the story is quite complex.
Margate Cliff Railway was constructed during the winter of 1912-1913 to provide access from the top of the cliffs
to the promenade below.  As of 2022 all that remains is the concrete slope of the railway.  The whole Lido complex, including
the openair swimming pool at the foot of the cliffs, was built over the site of the original Clifton Baths during the 1920s.
The remains of the original baths are listed grade II.

The cliff railway was constructed as an inclined lift, not a funicular, having just a single carriage.
It ran on a straight 5' gauge track from a top station opposite the end of Athelstan Rd down to the promenade on a 45°
slope for a distance of 60'.  The lift was counter-balanced by a weight running in a vertical shaft.  As originally
constructed it ran down behind the face of the cliff, but by 1972 this portion of the cliff had eroded.  Further erosion
is visible on the current photograph.

• Post Code:   CT9 1RX
  • WGS84:       51°23'33"N 001°23'29"N or 51.39244,1.39150
GSV:
Additional views:

Offline Stewie

« Reply #7210 on: August 30, 2022, 12:24:19 PM »
Spot on Johnwalker, described on the internet as the Margate beach railway but it did link to Cliftonville Lido. Apparently came out of use late 1970’s. I chose the photo because it was taken on the same walk to Broadstairs that took us past the mysterious tunnels in the previous GTP. Over to you 🤓👍

Offline John Walker

« Reply #7209 on: August 30, 2022, 11:47:05 AM »
A funicular down to the bathing pool at the Lido Cliftonville?  I can't see any steps on GSV so that's why my guess is a funicular.

Offline Stewie

« Reply #7208 on: August 30, 2022, 08:52:39 AM »
Thankyou Beach bum. Mrs Stewie and myself walked from Minnis Bay to Margate a couple of years ago and along the promenade approaching Epple Bay, came across a number of abandoned tunnels and substantial brickworks. Many of the tunnels have been sealed but one climbed via a flight of stairs up from the promenade coming out between two houses in what I thought was St Magnus Close. The brickwork which is quite substantial in places and to me resembles that found on some of the 'Palmerstone Folly' era forts so possibly Victorian. At the time, we could not identify why the area needed so many tunnels as there seemed to be no obvious reason for them either above or on the promenade itself. We noticed the ramps down to the sea from the promenade but these seem to be newer than the brickwork so may be a red herring. We were later told that the tunnels pre date the concrete promenade, so most likely would have given access to a beach area.
I don't have much to entertain you with so will put up this offering taken a couple of years ago as well. Can you say where it is and what it was?

Offline Beachbum

« Reply #7207 on: August 29, 2022, 08:31:09 PM »
John Walker's photo is spot on for the location, so MartinR is correct with the references (Thank you).............

Offline Beachbum

« Reply #7206 on: August 29, 2022, 08:27:14 PM »
This is the current day view.............

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #7205 on: August 29, 2022, 08:24:12 PM »
Thanks John.  I was looking at the grassed area, about halfway between your two arrows.  I think you have identified the exit but we'll have to wait for Beachbum to come back online.  Oops, we crossed in the post!