Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1056540 times)

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #7179 on: August 26, 2022, 12:10:22 PM »
Another SWAG and I think that I have it, but will hold back as I’ve been too successful lately, time for others to win.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline CAT

« Reply #7178 on: August 25, 2022, 07:17:04 PM »
Not a chapter house as you say MartinR, but you are heading in the right direction.

Not Holy Trinity, Sittingbourne DaveTheTrain, you need to head inland to the southeast(ish)

The village if it can be called a village possesses two castles, one of which is hardly known, whilst the other is hardly a castle in the true sense

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #7177 on: August 25, 2022, 04:33:48 PM »
It looks very similar to Holy Trinity, Sittingbourne.
DTT

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #7176 on: August 25, 2022, 02:51:48 PM »
Odd.  It looks like a chapter house, but that would imply some sort of monastic institution.  Brick makes it a bit late for that though.  I suppose it could be a Lady Chapel, but they are not normally circular and not normally at the east end.

Offline CAT

« Reply #7175 on: August 25, 2022, 11:44:27 AM »
Not a crematorium John Walker, neither the brick structure or the chimney are linked in function. The chimney being for a small fireplace in the church for the early school.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #7174 on: August 25, 2022, 11:32:43 AM »
I haven't found the church yet, but was the brick structure a crematorium as I see there's a brick chimney attached?

Offline CAT

« Reply #7173 on: August 25, 2022, 09:56:13 AM »
Many thanks johnfilmer and MartinR. Its not an area I know particularly well, though I had worked nearby many years ago.

My next is another period view of a church, which is virtually unaltered except for the now missing circular 'structure', which originally possessed a specific function, to the north of the chancel. But where and extra points for details about the brick structure.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #7172 on: August 24, 2022, 08:09:05 PM »
The church is centered at:
  • Nat Grid:     TQ 70138 61223
  • Post Code:  ME6 5HT
  • WGS84:      51°19'29"N E000°26'26"E or 51.3247,0.4404
The "Medway Valley Line"  was originally the North Kent Line of the South Eastern Railway (SER).  The line from Paddock Wood to Maidstone had been completed in 1844, and in 1856 this was extended to Strood.  In 1899 The former rivals of the London, Chatham and Dover (LDCR) agreed to joint operations and from then on the company was known as South Eastern and Chatham Railway (SE&CR).  After the date of the map, under grouping, it became part of the Southern Railway.  After nationalisation it was the Southern Region of British Railways.  At what point the title "Medway Valley Line" was adopted I've not been able to ascertain, but I'm fairly confident it was after grouping (1 January 1923).  If you look closely at the map shown, the bottom of the ampersand is visible, giving "SE&CR", and the name "North Kent Li" is obviously the North Kent Line.

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #7171 on: August 24, 2022, 06:36:39 PM »
Well done CAT, it is the southern end of Snodland, the land being Birling Common.

The church was referred to as being at Lower Birling, some relatives were married there 1919 and that sparked an interest in it. I used to drive past it every day for about 8 years, area has changed a bit from that map!

Over to you CAT.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #7170 on: August 24, 2022, 02:44:31 PM »
Well, I've learned something there.  I've always thought of that section of track as the Medway Valley Line.  Obviously some changes over the years. Well done CAT.

Offline CAT

« Reply #7169 on: August 24, 2022, 02:00:27 PM »
Got it eventually. Section of line to the west of Brookland Lake, Snodland. The full title to the southwest is Birling Common?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #7168 on: August 24, 2022, 12:30:38 PM »
Well, I've followed the North Kent Railway on my map (OS 25inch 1892 - 1914 )and I can't find any point where it runs in exactly the same direction as on your map section.  My map is earlier so perhaps other parts of a line were later named North Kent Line.  Still searching  ;D

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #7167 on: August 24, 2022, 09:02:08 AM »
The section of railway shows it to run (very) roughly north south, in a county of lines mainly radiating out from London.

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #7166 on: August 23, 2022, 07:03:37 PM »
I may do as JW suggests, as I havn't been to Sandwich to wander round for years.

Yet again it was an absolute guess, memories of an architect in bright green rimmed glasses (in 1985!) asking me to "SWAG" an answer to a job on a pub refurb. SWAG turned out to mean "Scientific Wild Ar$ed Guess". I did it a lot when estimating jobs...  8)
Meanwhile, back at the game.
Another map, no clues yet as someone may know this. Its from a 6inch OS map revised 1907, published 1910.
Well alright then, just a little clue, the church is not named as being in the settlement that it serves, but for part of another nearby settlement

Offline John Walker

« Reply #7165 on: August 23, 2022, 06:30:00 PM »
If any of you are thinking of heading to Sandwich, you might find the Sandwich Medieval Trust museum interesting.  Working forge producing some evil-looking arrow heads and much more.  It's on the quay opposite the Fisher Gate in CAT's photo.

https://sandwichmedieval.org/