Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1040114 times)

Offline John Walker

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #5582 on: November 07, 2021, 09:12:13 AM »
Although I am not a pub goer, I enjoyed reading about the `Admiral Owen ` in Sandwich. This is an area that I know nothing about, the area between
Ramsgate & Dover I have not visited, except for the residence at `Cliffesend `in the 1930`s ( Sister worked there + Six St. Bernard dogs, they owned )

Just the opposite for me Castle261.  It's an area I know quite well having close by a few years back.  It's the Medway towns that I struggle with.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #5581 on: November 07, 2021, 09:08:08 AM »
You may have seen me mention before. My ancestor John Woodruff ,Vicar of Upchurch ,did much to eradicate the problems in the Village caused by Marsh Fever or Marsh Ague as it was known in the 19th century. With moneys from his own pocket he supplied villagers with Medicine which stopped or combated much of the suffering. By the time he died there were hardly any cases being recorded in the Village.

That's something to be proud of in your family tree Grandarog.  So far I've not found any claim to fame in my tree.  Nearly all agricultural and mill workers as far back as the 1700s.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #5580 on: November 07, 2021, 08:37:41 AM »
Although I am not a pub goer, I enjoyed reading about the `Admiral Owen ` in Sandwich. This is an area that I know nothing about, the area between
Ramsgate & Dover I have not visited, except for the residence at `Cliffesend `in the 1930`s ( Sister worked there + Six St. Bernard dogs, they owned )

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #5579 on: November 06, 2021, 05:12:25 PM »
You may have seen me mention before. My ancestor John Woodruff ,Vicar of Upchurch ,did much to eradicate the problems in the Village caused by Marsh Fever or Marsh Ague as it was known in the 19th century. With moneys from his own pocket he supplied villagers with Medicine which stopped or combated much of the suffering. By the time he died there were hardly any cases being recorded in the Village.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #5578 on: November 06, 2021, 02:31:26 PM »
Marsh fever was of course malaria, which was endemic in southern Britain until well into the 20C.
Malaria may have been introduced into the North Sea Basin in late Antiquity. It has been endemic at least since the 7th century, but its high-days were the Little Ice Age. After 1750 the disease retreated until it disappeared in the 1950s. The hotbeds of malaria were largely restricted to brackish coastal zones, where the mosquito Anopheles atroparvus could thrive. In these zones death-rates were 25-50 pct higher than in inland areas. This was not caused by tropical malaria, but by the prolonged debilitating effect of tertian and quartan fevers. High summer temperatures as well as storm surges were usually followed by an outbreak of malaria.

The impacts of ecological changes are discussed, as well as the effects of widespread malaria on popular health and local culture. In spite of the high death-rates, popular concern with malaria fevers diminished during the 17th and 18th centuries. This was due to a medical fallacy according to which the chronic effects of malaria were diagnosed as 'land-scurvy'. The eradication of malaria in North-Western Europe had more to do with agricultural changes, hydrological measures and rising standards of living than with medical progress.

The rise and fall of malaria took place largely independent of long-term climatic change. Apparently, mean summer temperatures were only partially affected by general tendencies. Detailed analysis on a ten-year level might show more pronounced climatic effects.
from Knottnerus, Otto S: "Malaria Around the North Sea: A Survey": Published in: Gerold Wefer, Wolfgang H. Berger, Karl-Ernst Behre, Eynstein Jansen (ed.), Climatic Development and History of the North Atlantic Realm: Hanse Conference Report. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, 2002, pp. 339-353
https://ottoknot.home.xs4all.nl/werk/Malaria.html

Offline CAT

« Reply #5577 on: November 06, 2021, 01:11:35 PM »
Sadly not Minster church Lutonman, but Diapason does indeed have it. The church, before the construction of the present Murston church in the late nineteenth century, was called All Saints Church, Murston. As previously mentioned the church was the centre of a typical marsh side village, though antiquarian writers are not very complimentary about it due to the ‘Marsh fever’, which infected men, women and children alike. Prior to the near obliteration of the village nearly all the inhabitants were employed by the brickworks, which took advantage of the natural clay of the area, as well as the creek side wharfs. However, the closure of the brickworks caused the village to move to the south and its medieval church became derelict. Largely demolished, only its former chancel remained as a mortuary chapel to the surrounding churchyard. Having suffered varying uses it is presently undergoing a scheme of restoration with additional artists studios adjacent to help turn it into a community hub once again.

Over to you Diapason

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #5576 on: November 06, 2021, 10:45:21 AM »
I think Diapason has found it.Certainly looks right.

http://cka.moon-demon.co.uk/KAR051/KAR051_Murston.htm

Offline Diapason

« Reply #5575 on: November 06, 2021, 10:08:29 AM »
The `old` Murston church, Sittingbourne?

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #5574 on: November 05, 2021, 07:35:33 PM »
Minster Church Sheppey?

Offline CAT

« Reply #5573 on: November 05, 2021, 05:12:28 PM »
To far north and west for this one JohnWalker.

This church, was originally at the heart of its settlement, but the industry that formed along the adjacent waterside eventually aided its demise and caused the village centre to move southwards, all with a new church

Offline John Walker

« Reply #5572 on: November 05, 2021, 04:25:34 PM »
Hoo Peninsular?

Offline CAT

« Reply #5571 on: November 05, 2021, 03:04:16 PM »
Not the Romney Marsh shoot999, wrong half of the county, look north

Offline shoot999

« Reply #5570 on: November 05, 2021, 02:25:15 PM »
Romney Marsh area?