Author Topic: Darland Banks 'lines'  (Read 4800 times)

Offline Stewie

Re: Darland Banks 'lines'
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 07:18:48 PM »
Perhaps they are the arched roofs of the legendary Medway tunnel network that links everything to everything else!  ;)

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
Re: Darland Banks 'lines'
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 05:17:34 PM »
I don't think there are water mains in that area from plans I have seen in the past. There is an 18"gas pipe which aligns from the end of Alison Ave down the banks and follows the line of trees past the Pavilion and out onto Capstone road but the lines do not match that one either.

Offline Hodge

Darland Banks 'lines'
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 10:32:09 PM »
I posted a picture on the old forum (when I was 'Dinsy') of what I considered to be strange linear features on the Darland Banks, and asked if anyone knew what they were or what had caused them.

A link from a post on this forum to a YouTube video (very sorry, I can't remember in which category I found the link) showed tunnels being dug for water pipes from a reservoir at the top of Darland down to Capstone (presumably to the pumping station), and I wondered if this had anything to do with the features on the banks, although they don't seem to be near the reservoir nor the pumping station!

Unfortunately I no longer have the photo of the lines, but they can be seen from the bottom of Pear Tree Lane/Capstone Road heading towards Ash Tree Lane, with the Waggon at Hale pub on the right. When the sun is low in the sky (and shadows are elongated) they're really quite prominent!

Once we're all allowed out again, I'll get another photo, but until then here is an image from Google Earth. (At least, I hope there is. I have a habit of forgetting to attach the attachments!) The lines are to the left of the compass arrow.

Can anyone shed any light on what they may be?