Life Stories and Personal Memories > Personal Memories

Climate Change !

(1/3) > >>

mmitch:
That's it thanks. Could happen in any part of the world, anytime.....
mmitch.

MartinR:
@mmitch: see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

TL;DR
In 1815 Mount Tambora erupted in the Dutch East Indies.  Also possibly adding to the effect was Mayon on the Phillippines.  Widespread famine in Europe and North America followed, and the weakened population then succumbed to a typhus epidemic.

mmitch:
I only have a very basic story in my head ( perhaps someone can give more details?) That about 200 years ago a volcano (I think in Iceland?) erupted and blacked out the Sun over Europe. There was no Summer that year and the crops failed with resultant starvation...The Industrial revolution was only just starting then, no modern transport to move food about quickly.....
mmitch.

stuartwaters:
On the subject of volcanoes Vs climate change, I read a couple of inconvenient facts recently (inconvenient for the climate change zealots anyway). How much truth there is in them, I can't say,but interesting anyway.

Members will remember the eruption under the glacier in Iceland about 12 years ago. The one which put billions of tons of dust and ash into the air, so much so that transatlantic air travel had to be stopped lest the ash and dust damaged jet engines. I read that that eruption put so much co2 into the air that it basically undid all the co2 savings made up to that date.

The second interesting and inconvenient fact was that in 1991 Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines erupted for the first time in recorded history and was erupting on and off for about a year. During that time, the volcano put more sulphur dioxide into the air than humans have. Ever. Sulphur Dioxide is a more potent greenhouse gas than Carbon Dioxide.

Think about that for a moment. One major volcanic eruption or god forbid, the eruption of a Supervolcano and never mind climate change, we'll all be well and truly up the creek without a paddle in sight.

mmitch:
When I read about the sea warming, I think about undersea volcanos. How many are there? How many are active now? No 'expert' can answer that because nobody knows everything about the sea. It is often quoted that we know more about the moon than we do about our seas.
El Neno is supposed to be caused by warm sea that occurs about every 4 years. What if that is an undersea fissure of some sort. No 'net zero' can shut off even one volcano!
mmitch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version