Religion > Churches, Mosques, Synagogues and Temples

St Mary the Virgin .Upchurch

(1/9) > >>

MartinR:
Thanks CAT.  I've downloaded it and will study it at my leisure.  I was particularly interested to see that there was a section covering what Dickinson calls "timber towers in the nave".  As a ringer I've noticed several of the smaller churches have adopted them to keep the weight (and swinging forces) of the bells off weak walls.  Where I first noticed this style was St. Mary's, Kemsing.  Anyhow, thanks and I'll stop straying off Upchurch.

CAT:
I found reference to the recent survey in the thesis of Alan Dickinson titled 'The Timber Towers and Spires of Romney Marsh and Hinterland'. A very interesting study that I'm sure will keep you interested for quite a while Martin R? See rmrt.org.uk/assets/timbertowers.pdf

MartinR:
Is that information available online?  The WP page doesn't reflect it.  Thanks.

CAT:
Lets not forget St Mary's Church, Willesborough, near Ashford, which shares similarities with Upchurch and Bexley, but definitely can't be use for navigation. 

Brookland, 'Clad' or 'reclad' in the fifteenth century? Recent survey of the Brookland belfry suggests that whilst some of the earlier timbers in the main tower show signs of weathering, this is not enough to show it was fully exposed to the weather for any long period of time, but instead periods of neglect to its other sheathing allowed weather ingress. This evidence implies the tower was always clad from the onset and that its current appearance occurred through a process of addition and adaption throughout the mid - late medieval periods and not as a single phase of alteration.   

MartinR:
Err, (Brookland was clad in C15, so would not have been visible prior to 1287).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version