Author Topic: Various Shops That Used To Exist In Chatham  (Read 3276 times)

Offline Smiffy

Re: Various Shops That Used To Exist In Chatham
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2023, 03:23:11 PM »
Jean, can you tell us when this was - I can't remember it myself, could be I was too young to take notice. This was once, and is now again, known as Fullager's Yard. The name goes back to at least the middle of the 19th century and probably beyond, although who Fullager was is unknown to me.

Post war the Invicta Cinema is shown as a clothing factory - can anyone remember this? Later on of course, it became Invicta Bingo, frequented regularly by my parents  :)

There was another market much further down the High street, opposite the Regent/ABC/Canon cinema and next to The Little Crown, known as "Medway Markets". Once again, I have no memory of this, perhaps someone else does?

A picture taken of one of the markets, not sure which one - probably Medway Markets. No date, likely pre-1950 by the look of it.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2023, 09:25:34 AM »
The building mentioned - at the side of Woolworths was the Invicta Picture House  - " The Bug Hutch " as known by us -`Saturday morning Kids - in 1938

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2023, 07:06:37 PM »
Can you imagine the risk assessment and safety rules to use a Gas Axe to cut a lamppost off at the base in this day and age. Doubt if it would even be allowed.

Offline shoot999

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2023, 06:59:44 PM »
Remember the market as a child. Stalls lining the wide alleyway and then the indoor part. Which I assume was in the Invicta Ballroom?

Offline Jean

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2023, 05:13:12 PM »
Not a shop exactly, but fond memories of the indoor market that was tucked away just off the High Street. The entrance to the market was along an alleyway along the side of Woolworths. It was a lively place that offered much to entice everyone through its entrance. The market stalls were piled high with meat, vegetables and household necessities as well as plants, cakes and jewelry. The smell on entering was unique.
It was just the place to go for a young pre teen that only had pennies for pocket money,  to look for family gifts.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2022, 03:15:00 PM »
Looks like they're removing a lamp post - and not a hi-viz or hard hat in sight....
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2022, 01:51:57 PM »
Manfield's is visible here with Smiths next door behind the lorry. The Kings Head is also visible, but looks like it's already closed in this picture from1962.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2022, 09:00:45 PM »
This shows the Theatre Royal when it was being used by Halfords, now located on the Brook, with W H Smiths visible in the foreground. Picture taken around 1970.

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2022, 12:05:08 PM »
I Think there was at one time a shoe shop Mansfields at the bottom of Manor Road, probably near or where WH Smiths were.

Offline castle261

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2022, 04:46:09 AM »
There was Halfords - situated at the bottom of Manor Road in the High Street - then it moved into the Theatre Royal for a while.
I also worked for George Carters - the clothes shop next to Woolworth - Fair Row was opposite - now the entrance to the Pentagon.

Offline castle261

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2022, 11:51:39 AM »
I worked (one of my first jobs at 14 ) at W H Smiths in the High Street - near Manor Road in Chatham - I used to go to Chatham Station ( 6am) to collect
the bundle of newspapers - take them to the rear of the shop in Medway Street - sort them - then deliver them to houses & shops in the High Street, &
New Road. Finished at 8am - then visit a shop in Ordnance Street buy 6 newly baked soft rolls - then home to my mother - ( we eat them with cheese )
Back to the shop for 9pm - for a few hours then - at 11am take the periodicals - all along the to the High Street shops & houses.
The one place I loved to visit - was the Veglio`s Restaurant - all plush velvet - where the Tanning Parlour is now - opposite the Theatre Royal - they were
such nice people. they had several magazines - like `Life` - which I used to look at the pictures - as I walked  along. ( I had three jobs at 14 ) - while
waiting to be a Telegram Boy - then to be a G P O Engineer - hopefully. That was in 1941 - at W H Smiths.

Offline smiler

• Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2022, 07:35:21 AM »
Yes step down into long narrow shop like a front room and a back room where the comics magazines where.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2022, 02:13:47 PM »
If I am remembering correctly, didn't you have to take a step down when you entered? Can't recall the pipes and cigs though as I would have been to young to notice, it's only the comics I was interested in!

I think I might have a photo showing where it was somewhere.

Offline smiler

• Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2022, 09:04:49 AM »
  That’s right Smiffy long and narrow,books, magazines and comics at the back. Cigarettes, cigars, lighters and pipes at the front half.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 03:23:46 PM »
I remember that one, smiler. Pretty sure the name was more like the "Anglo-American Bookstore", and that it was quite narrow. I believe that was where my brother used to get his comic books, including the occasional "Classics Illustrated". Anyone remember those?