Author Topic: Walderslade WWII POW Camp  (Read 455 times)

Offline Stewie

Re: Walderslade WWII POW Camp
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 11:35:07 AM »
Knew I had seen this document before, perhaps this might help?

Offline Stewie

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2024, 11:30:09 AM »
This is a picture of the building that I was advised was the camp commandants house for the camp at Walderslade. Curiously, my mother used to talk of the camp which was still there post war and she referred to them as Italians. My father says that post war, the the POW's were employed building the roads for the nearby Wayfield estate.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2024, 10:24:45 AM »
Well that fits in with King George Street/Road.  The 1947 1:25,000 OS map shows nothing but (presumably) open fields there.  The overlay image (ESRI World Image, 2013) appears to show crop markings, but these could be due to other factors.

Offline Stewie

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2024, 10:43:13 PM »
I thought it was on the playing fields opposite the Poachers Pocket public house. I was told that the camp commandant’s house was a bit further along Walderslade Road at the junction with Sussex Drive, just before the road descends towards Walderslade village.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2024, 05:56:33 PM »
References put it in King George Street, but thereby lies a problem, there is no such road.  There is a King George Road which in 1947 only ran from Walderslade Road to Gorse Avenue.  There's nothing obvious on the map, it might have been in Weeds Wood (which is now build over with the Yarrow Road area) but I'm afraid it's anyone's guess.  The Overlay maps are available at https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16.2&lat=51.34695&lon=0.51745&layers=219&b=1&o=100

Offline gperfett

Walderslade WWII POW Camp
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 04:41:05 PM »
I recently acquired the attached card from a German POW at Walderslade Camp. I wondered if anyone could tell me exactly where the camp was, please.