Author Topic: Schooner rescue 1857  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Lyn L

Re: Schooner rescue 1857
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 11:57:18 AM »
Thank you Martin,
 I will let the other person know that info.

Would be interesting to find out about Capt Johnson if he came from Rochester as reported.
Apparently it was him and his crew that saved  the other persons GG Grandfather.
Of course he's eternally grateful for that.
Lyn x

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
Re: Schooner rescue 1857
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 11:07:01 AM »
It is recorded on Wikipedia's list of shipwrecks for 27 August 1857.  the Audacious sprang a leak whilst on passage from South Shields to Great Yarmouth and sank in the Boston Deeps.  As you said, her crew were rescued by the Father and Sons.  Boston Deep lies along the northern part of the Wash separated from the main part by a series of sandbanks.  There is an obstruction which has been swept with a chain at 53o00'.7N 0o17'.0E which could, only could, be the Audacious.  However if the Audacious ran aground or sank out of the channel there are numerous obstructions and hazardous wrecks marked.

RED HERRING ALERT  I've no idea if this was the same vessel, but the Father and Sons from Eyemouth was lost at sea in the Black Friday storm of 14 October 1881.

See:
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shipwrecks_in_August_1857#27_August
https://www.geni.com/projects/Eyemouth-Disaster-Black-Friday-14th-October-1881/52638

Offline Lyn L

Schooner rescue 1857
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 09:25:11 AM »
A question someone may be able to answer ?
 On another site I belong to, a person is asking about a Capt Johnson of Rochester who saved the crew of another Schooner 'Audacious ' when it sprung a leak and sank.
The date was  August /September 1857  reported in a newspaper. Capt Johnson was master of  ' Father and Sons '( the schooners name ) I wouldn't have a clue where to look . The sinking seems to be in the Shields area .
I live in hopes x