Author Topic: Reginald Wells seaplanes  (Read 15422 times)

Offline Smiffy

Re: Reginald Wells seaplanes
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2020, 02:37:53 PM »
Looks like the DH9 in the photograph has the engine either not yet fitted or removed. As for not being a seaplane, I'm pretty sure I can see the undercarriage wheels.

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2020, 12:22:45 PM »
Very interesting that Wells was sold to Waring & Gillow. A very famous cabinet maker in Edgeware Road, so their carpentry used on aircraft would have been complementary. A friend of mine was a n apprentice cabinet maker there in 1945-50.

I think Wells bankruptcy forced him into selling quickly. Looking at the adverts from the time, Wells employed a huge skilled-work force.
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2020, 11:58:59 AM »
Very interesting that Wells was sold to Waring & Gillow. A very famous cabinet maker in Edgeware Road, so their carpentry used on aircraft would have been complementary. A friend of mine was a n apprentice cabinet maker there in 1945-50.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2020, 11:51:07 AM »
Please, all involved we're getting to the " windmill" situation & I for one wish that it doesn't continue. I'm sure ALL comments are made with the best intentions. Let's all continue to be friends, life is too short!.

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2020, 11:38:51 AM »
Mike I'm not trying to wind you up, I am trying to help you. You shared this image on this forum and mentioned the article you were intent in writing. You sought our help.

Regrettably this image is very clearly NOT what was originally thought. I thought it important you realise this as it would be a shame to have an incorrect image in your article.

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2020, 11:31:31 AM »
I am going to go out on a limb here Cosmo. Is that Gustave Whitehead at the far right of the image, and (roundel notwithstanding) is that pic taken in the US?

Dave the Train: The  picture was taken taken in Chelsea. And for Cosmo, this is 100% Wells was a great self-promoter, but he didn't last very long in the aircraft business. There was a huge gap between his dreams and reality.

Mike

Mike, have you compared your image to the D.H.9A. Your plane is clearly a D.H.9A and so from 1918/1919 onwards.

I don't have time for your cross examinations CS. Find and research something of your own please!

This is the last time I do this with you,  in answer to your latest question: "However, the aviation company went bankrupt in 1917 and was sold to [/size]Waring & Gillow[/color]"

bye.

Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2020, 11:22:17 AM »
I am going to go out on a limb here Cosmo. Is that Gustave Whitehead at the far right of the image, and (roundel notwithstanding) is that pic taken in the US?

Dave the Train: The  picture was taken taken in Chelsea. And for Cosmo, this is 100% Wells was a great self-promoter, but he didn't last very long in the aircraft business. There was a huge gap between his dreams and reality.

Mike

Mike, have you compared your image to the D.H.9A. Your plane is clearly a D.H.9A and so from 1918/1919 onwards.

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2020, 11:16:27 AM »

Mike
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2020, 11:23:57 PM »
What prompted my suggestion was that the DH9a has an American engine, and thus I had wondered if this was an engine trial.

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2020, 11:19:09 PM »
They did build a few D.H.9A in the USA but that hangar looks very much UK. I think the Browning machine gun would be on the right of the engine in a US build, but may not have been fitted at this stage?

I'm very much open to suggestions as to the important looking folk in the pic.

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2020, 11:07:46 PM »

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2020, 10:50:03 PM »
I've posted the pic again here for clarity. It's clearly an advanced military machine and not an early flying boat/seaplane. It's got a wheeled undercarriage! The boy in the rear observers position has his elbow on a circular machine gun rail!

As well as the military paint job, please notice the military RFC roundel on the fuselage! These were applied from the very beginning of 1915, This modified roundel on this aircraft with the thin white outline came into use in 1917. This photo can not therefore be from before that date!

The aircraft itself is an Airco D.H.9a. The prototype flew in march 1918 and production got into swing shortly after that. This photo can not therefore be from before mid 1918. Link here [size=78%]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airco_DH.9A[/size]

There is a white letter "H" on the rear empennage. This shows it is in the end block of D.H.9a production which continued over into 1919. The photo must therefore be no earlier than mid 1918, but could be 1919.

Wells Aviation ceased in being in 1917. They did not get to build any D.H.9a aircraft, so it's clearly not one of their builds. Please note it is in a military style aviation hanger, not a pottery or converted house in Chelsea.

Below is both your image and another D.H.9a for comparison.

There's something else in this photo that makes it evidently not the seaplane from Well's story. Any guesses anyone?

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2020, 08:46:52 PM »
I still don't follow?

You said " On the back of the image was " Reginald standing on the aircraft wing in 1915 for a picture of the Wells Aviation Company Limited."

So why now 1913? It's clearly later than that.

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2020, 02:14:01 PM »

The picture was taken in 1931.

How did you come by 1931 Mike? I think this may be a typo. The original aircraft photo is clearly sometime around 1918/1919

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2020, 10:29:29 PM »
You just made me look. Built 100 of D.H.4 aircraft. A creditable number, bearing in mind they were turning out other war products at the same time.
Found image here if them transporting an aircraft, which is something we touched upon earlier.