Author Topic: Short brothers. Seaplane Works !  (Read 14450 times)

Offline Dave Smith

Re: Short brothers. Seaplane Works !
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2019, 10:00:27 PM »
Having replied to some posts, I now find there are a lot more that were not shown then. So, hopefully to clarify. I think all those Sunderland fuselages together with Sunderland V & 3 Seafords + Shetland II all on the apron outside No. 18  shop are about 1947 when Shorts closed. They are NOT being manufactured!( see my earlier post re shop useage). All "the  rubbish" surrounding them is after a good clear out ready for the new companies to move in. Shorts had a very big presence in Bedford during the war, a big shadow factory. The wings would definitely have been transported on the 60ft long Queen Mary's, they could take 2 side by side (upright not flat) as span was 112ft, so wings just over 50ft.
The Stirling wings were very similar to Sunderlands s
[/size][/color]
o would also have gone on a Queen Mary over Rochester bridge. 
If of interest to anyone, basically, Sunderlands were the RAF aircraft; Mk's 1,2,3 & 5. The Seaford ( we called it the IV) had a large fairing on the fore of the fin. [/size][/color]
Sandringhams were a civil version of the Mk.V & Solents the civil Seaford.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2019, 09:06:16 PM »
Hi, castle 261. I was an apprentice at the Seaplane works from July 1945 until January 1947 when we juniors were told that the works were closing & all production was being moved to Short & Harland in Belfast. So we best find another firm who would take us on & extend our indentures. Some of my friends went to Wingets, in Strood & others to Blaw & Knox( who eventually took over No.18 shop). I had always been very interested in aircraft, instigated I suspect by my uncle Hector Smith who had been the chauffeur/mechanic to the 3 Short Brothers, driving their Rolls Royce when they were over on the Isle of Sheppey. He then became an aero mechanic with Shorts (loved the Pobjoy engines they used) & was a member of the team who started up Shorts at what is now Rochester airport. His tales, told with great enthusiasm, were many & varied- hence my addiction! At that time the RAF were advertising for apprentices for Halton, so I sat their exam, passed & spent several years at Halton, etc. Re the shops at the Seaplane Works. The 1st inside the gate was No.1 ( machine shop & detailing section) then a small No.2 ( offices) then No.3 which was final assembly where the engines were fitted- by Bristol personnel- & the a/c was launched down one of the two slipways into the Medway. Various small shops facing the river or behind ( spray booth, panel beaters, lofting hall, canteen over one of them- good grub, only 6d for apprentices, etc.). Then No.17 shop where main planes were assembled & finally No. 18 shop where various sub assemblies were made & different aircraft ( eg Shetland) were kept prior to moving out onto the very large apron at the side.My trade was Fitter & Sheetmetal Worker & I worked in Nos. 18, 17 & 1 ( detail) shops. In recent years I've visited Rochester Museum to find, to my dismay- that there is no area there dedicated to Shorts!( the 2nd largest, by far, employer in the Medway Towns). They just don't have the room but one day.... I gave then some of my tools & other artifacts, which are stored in the basement- just resting! About 5 years ago Liz Walker- the great niece of the Short Bros.- started the Short Brothers Commemoration Society. She- like me- was sad to see the pioneers of the British aircraft industry- & makers of the first world travel aircraft (C Class flying boats) & long range anti submarine aircraft in WW2 (Sunderlands)- with no history in the City/County in which they operated. ( If you go to Stoke, the
designer of the Spitfire,
RJMitchell, is very proudly celebrated).       

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 03:34:22 PM »
The only Sunderland that was outside, was on the No 18 slip. ` EXPERIMENTAL AIRCRAFT `.

( It`s happening to ME now )

Offline castle261

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 03:16:15 PM »
I possible solution could be that the Ministry of Aircraft Production, decided that Shorts Bros.
should be dispersed to other factories. My brother was in the R.A.F. that decided that any
R.A.F. personal, that worked in aircraft factories, could be released under a `B` release scheme,
to help with aircraft production. He applied and was sent to Trout Beck Bridge, in Lake Windermere.
to make Sunderlands there. I went there during the war to see him, a Sunderland was on the lake.
I read that the Stirling aircraft from Short`s went to a factory assembly plant, near Birmingham.

Where there other aircraft assembly plants, around the county, as well ?

Another section, I wrote `I saw Lord Beaverbrook in conference at Shorts in 1942 `.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 02:17:24 PM »

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2019, 11:55:37 PM »
It puzzles me as well that they all seemed to be assembled outdoors exposed to all sorts of weather and not under cover as you would expect. Perhaps castle261 can throw some light on this?

I've also had some problems with font size. I check first with a preview and then if necessary I cut the whole post and then paste it back in again. This can sometimes fix things.

Offline jimawilliams

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2019, 10:05:49 PM »
Really interesting photographs smiffy.  Two things really do surprise me about these images.1 The apparent total lack of any organised layout compared to a modern factory / large assembly line.2 Surely these planes were manufactured indoors, however there are no supporting beams for any roof structure.  Given the size of the planes I would be interested to see the design of the building, if it is indeed indoors.
(3rd attempt at posting this post to get font size readable)

Offline jimawilliams

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2019, 10:00:07 PM »
 Really interesting photographs smiffy.  Two things really do surprise me about these are
1  The apparent total lack of an organised layout compared to a modern large factory / assembly line.
2  Surely these photos were taken indoors, but there are no supporting beams for any roof structure.  Given the size of the planes I would be interested to see the design of the building.

(Second attempt at posting the above,as the font size appeared too small to read on the initial post)

Offline jimawilliams

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 09:53:40 PM »
 Really interesting photographs smiffy.  Two things really do surprise me about these are
1  The apparent total lack of an organised layout compared to a modern large factory / assembly line.
2  Surely planes were manufactured indoors, but there are no supporting beams for any roof structure.  Given the size of the planes I would be interested to see the design of the building.

Offline castle261

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 06:06:09 PM »
The wings were transported up right, two to a trailer I believe. Memory is a wonderful thing !

Offline Cosmo Smallpiece

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 12:45:26 PM »
Cosmo --- the fuselage was transported in two pieces as well, also by two R.A.F trailers.

Now I think about it, it was the fuselage being transported over Rochester bridge that I was told about. The Stirling wings must have been too wide for that?

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 04:45:27 PM »
Sunderlands under construction

I think these are Seafords

One of the enormous Shetlands. Only two were built, I think this must be the second. All photos date to 1946

Offline castle261

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 11:27:17 AM »
Cosmo --- the fuselage was transported in two pieces as well, also by two R.A.F trailers.

Offline castle261

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 11:14:43 AM »
That looks like the No 3 Shop slip way / or the No 18 slipway ? ---------- CAT.

Offline CAT

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 08:45:37 AM »
This is an image I originally posted on the previous KHF, but thought it would be apt to have it here also?