Travel and Transport > Railways

Lost stations in Kent

<< < (2/3) > >>

Invicta Alec:
Sharnal Street station opened in 1882 and remained in use for eighty years. It closed to passengers in 1961. The closure predates Dr. Beechings axe by a couple of years so I can only assume that lack of sufficient passengers caused common sense to prevail!
The station was part of the Hundred of Hoo Railway situated between High Halstow and Beluncle halts. Here it is pictured on a summer's day in 1928.

Smiffy:
Hi philip b,

From what I can find out, the station near Swanley tunnel was called Lullingstone and had pretty much disappeared by the mid - fifties after never being used. The proposed airport was for the use of Imperial Airways.

The one near Hoo Junction was Milton range halt.

guest82:
There was the station on the southern end of Swanley tunnel.Each platform about the length of a coach. Intended for the proposed airport. Airport idea dropped but the platforms (only?) were built but station never opened.
 Don't know if it counts as a station as such but the firing range close to Hoo Junction staff halt had at least one platform for the use of soldiers using the ranges.

Nemo:
It is indeed! All 3 stations were mooted, but never built.

Smiffy:
Nemo, I'm not sure what your map is showing - is this the proposed route for the abandoned Victorian channel tunnel?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version