Travel and Transport > Railways

Lost stations in Kent

<< < (3/3)

Nemo:
As well as having lost Admiralty Pier, Harbour, Marine and Town stations, one could perhaps argue that Dover also lost Castle (on the Goodwin Sands Airport line!), Hoverport (between Priory and Marine) and International - the last of which is shown here...

Smiffy:
This could turn into quite an interesting thread.

Here's another one, High Halstow Halt. Opened 1906, closed in 1961.

Invicta Alec:
I don't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday but ask me to sing a pop song from the 1960s and I'll be word perfect! The lyrics just become ingrained when you've sung them a thousand times before. Similarly, if as a schoolboy, you stood everyday for years listening to railway station announcements on your way to school then you can instantly recall stuff like.......

.........The train on platform 4 will call at Bearstead, Lenham, Charing, Ashford, Wye, Chilham, Chartham, Canterbury West, Sturry, Chislet Colliery, Grove Ferry and Minster.

But hang on a moment, there's something wrong! There's no station at Chislet or Grove Ferry. My little rhyme only makes sense if you said it before 1966. That's when Grove Ferry last saw passengers. Chislet Colliery halt followed in 1971.

For nostalgia purposes only, a nice photo from the short time the station was renamed Grove Ferry and Upstreet.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Grove_Ferry_%26_Upstreet_railway_station_(1961).jpg

Alec.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version