Author Topic: Chatham Dockyard  (Read 3151 times)

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
Re: Chatham Dockyard
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2023, 05:58:57 PM »
Than you Stuart - people may realise that No3 basin had not been dug out then - also the two entry locks called `The Bull`s Nose `.

The No.3 Basin was dug out and built at the same time as the other two and at the same time as the locks. There is however a difference, apart from size. No.3 Basin has brick facing while the other two are stone. Marvels of Victorian engineering.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline shoot999

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2023, 05:43:29 PM »
Tug Felicity towing the sub into the lock in the video. My first job after qualifying as a junior seaman following 3 years as a cabin boy. And 40 years, dozen of ships and a handful of bases later my last job afloat as her skipper at Devonport.
Small correction, It's Bull Nose, not Bull's Nose. The area between the locks to the seaward side. The building also called Bull Nose housed the RN Port Control, civvy Tug Control and the civvy Admiralty Pilots. Had my job interview there as a wet behind the ears 15 year old straight out of school.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2023, 09:24:29 AM »
Than you Stuart - people may realise that No3 basin had not been dug out then - also the two entry locks called `The Bull`s Nose `.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2023, 06:06:34 PM »
Here's a short video of HMS Dreadnought (S101) entering Chatham:

"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2023, 05:46:53 PM »
This is the model of Chatham Royal Dockyard as it appeared in 1774. As previously mentioned, it's in the collection of the National Maritime Museum, but as I recall, it was on display at Chatham.

Offline castle261

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023, 11:25:18 AM »
 There was a model of the Nuclear Complex.

Offline Stewie

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2023, 06:53:06 AM »
There is a large model of the Georgian dockyard in the buildings along Anchor Wharf in the historic dockyard complex, might this be it? Unfortunately, I don't have a picture to hand.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2023, 09:36:05 PM »
It's in the National Maritime museum along with models of Sheerness, Woolwich and Deptford Royal Dockyards. I believe the model of the Chatham Royal Dockyards was on display at the National Maritime Museum's display in the No1 Smithery at Chatham.

Offline castle261

Chatham Dockyard
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2023, 09:24:54 AM »
There is in existence -  a professional model of the Chatham dockyard - does anyone know where it is now - I believe it could be in a London Museum.
Maybe the Science Museum ? - I took a photo of it - but with the bright lights shining on the case - not good - I will have to look again - to find it.