Author Topic: RNLI crew intimidation  (Read 2272 times)

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
Re: RNLI crew intimidation
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2022, 07:02:18 AM »
It's OK Shoot999, my suggestion wasn't entirely serious: "Possibly even a ferry bound for France? Hmmm!".  It is probably also a bit easier to offload people to a hove-to ferry than to board a slab-sided container ship that's still legging it up river.

Offline shoot999

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 11:08:19 PM »
The thought has just crossed my mind.  Since all vessels must help if they are able to, and in the case of major incidents it is common for the smaller boats to get people out of the water and then transfer to larger vessels, would there be a case for the RNLI to transfer such large numbers to a passing ferry?  Possibly even a ferry bound for France? Hmmm!

Not quite that easy. Even for experienced mariners.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 10:37:46 PM »
The thought has just crossed my mind.  Since all vessels must help if they are able to, and in the case of major incidents it is common for the smaller boats to get people out of the water and then transfer to larger vessels, would there be a case for the RNLI to transfer such large numbers to a passing ferry?  Possibly even a ferry bound for France? Hmmm!

Offline shoot999

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 07:42:57 PM »
The modern ones can carry approx 120, but can carry more if need be. In the event of distress all boats are obliged to assist if required. Given the route is at the narrow part of the channel I would imagine a number of boats are available if needed.

Offline mmitch

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 03:37:34 PM »
When I see the photos of a RNLI boat returning with the deck packed with rescued people I wonder what would happen if they came across a family out in a boat that was sinking? I'm sure the crew would do their best but with untrained people blocking the deck it would b difficult   Those dinghies carry 40-50.
 Luckily when it did happen recently to a famjly including children the rescue boat was empty.
mmitch

Offline shoot999

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2022, 08:09:20 PM »
Not just RNLI, all mariners inc civvy, RN and BF. The UN convention on the Law of the Sea places an obligation on all mariners and governments to assist  anyone in danger or distress upon the seas. No mariner would be in any doubt that a flimsy dingy with untrained crew, non existent safety and navigation equipment and overloaded with civilians was anything but a  distress situation. And in my 40 plus years at sea I've never come across anyone who would ignore such a situation.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2022, 07:26:25 PM »
I agree completely. Whatever we may think of these so-called asylum seekers and the unscrupulous scumbags who set them off across the Channel in flimsy rubber dinghies, the RNLI crews are only doing what any sailor would do on coming across those in peril on the sea.

I have been rescued by the RNLI and they are the only charity I give my hard-earned to.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
RNLI crew intimidation
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2022, 06:01:17 PM »
I came across this story a week or so back.  Scroll down to the image about halfway down with the legend "Listen: an RNLI volunteer describes ...".

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/news/it-s-impossible-to-tell-saints-from-sinners-when-a-dingy-is-275509/
RNLI crews have been subject to abuse and late night phone calls for rescuing "asylum seekers" from the Channel.  Now whatever you may think about the "asylum seekers" and the people traffickers behind them, there is absolutely no excuse for abusing volunteers who turn out at a moments notice, day or night, to save life at sea.